I’m lucky in that I don’t really have picky eaters at my house. The only downside is I rarely get dinner requests. They pretty much are just happy to eat what I make but sometimes I can’t think of anything and would love a suggestion. Well, for Shawn’s birthday back in October he finally put in a request. He loves to go out for Indian food when he is traveling and he picked out a couple of his favorite dishes and asked me to try and create them at home. It was a tall order and a fun experiment and thankfully we were all pleased with the results. We’ve ended up making both of the dishes a couple of times since then including this delicious Tikka Masala. But of course I decided it needed to be converted to the slow cooker to make it easy!
This will take a few spices that you may not usually keep in your cabinet but if you love the flavors of Indian food then they will be a worthwhile buy. You will be able to use them to create all kinds of meals!
You can adjust the size of the recipe if you are only feeding a couple of people. I used two pounds of chicken because I have a couple of big eaters plus we like to have this for leftovers. In fact I’m pretty sure the leftovers are even better!
Slow Cooker Tikka MasalaPrint Pin Rate
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 cups heavy cream ((for later))
- Using sharp knife cut chicken breasts into bite sized chunks
- Add to crock along with remaining ingredients (except cream)
- Stir to combine
- Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or high for 2.5 - 3.5 hours (until chicken is fully cooked)
- Add cream and stir, return crock to high and let simmer for an additional 30 minutes until heated through
- Serve with rice and naan or as desired
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!