A creamy and flavorful chicken dinner that takes less than 15 minutes to prep! This meal is designed for two but could easily be doubled to feed a larger family. Slow Cooker Chicken Korma has a flavorful sauce and is upgraded with delicious sweet potatoes!
What is Korma?
Korma is a traditionally Indian dish that is made using either meat or veggies along with a creamy sauce with seasoning.
It’s similar to butter chicken, which many people are familiar with, except it doesn’t have any (or at least as much) tomato (I like to sneak in a little).
Chicken Korma can be a universally appealing dish because of its mild flavor and creaminess. Not to mention how simple it is to make, especially using your slow cooker.
While this version may not be completely authentic, it is very simple to recreate at home for a delicious meal full of flavor.
What ingredients do you need for chicken korma?
The main “unusual” ingredient you will need will be curry seasoning. Luckily I’ve made up a simple homemade curry seasoning that you can make with seasonings that are easy to find.
In addition to the curry seasoning you will need:
- chicken thighs – be sure they are boneless and skinless. You could also use chicken breasts but the thighs will have more flavor
- sweet potatoes – to add more substance and more flavor to this dish, we are going to add cubed sweet potatoes. Buy frozen already cubed sweet potatoes to keep it easy.
- raw cashews – we will blend these up to help thicken and make the sauce even richer and creamier
- coconut milk – to form the creamy sauce (and to keep it dairy-free)
- tomato paste – while korma technically doesn’t include tomato, we are adding in a tablespoon of tomato paste to kick up the flavor just a notch
How to make Chicken Korma:
First we will simple chop up the chicken into bite sized pieces and add to slow cooker along with potatoes.
Then it’s time to blend up the remaining ingredients including the cashews, tomato paste, seasonings and coconut milk.
Because we are blending up cashews and we want them to be smooth you’ll need to use a high powered blender like a Vitamix.
If you don’t have one, you can soak the cashews for a couple of hours in water and then drain to soften before blending.
Add the sauce on top of the chicken and then slow cook on high or low until cooked through.
Tips for making Chicken Korma:
- because this recipe is written for two, you will need to use a small 1 1/2 – 2 quart slow cooker. If doubling use a 3-4 quart slow cooker
- You can use frozen or fresh sweet potatoes
- this recipe can be cooked on high or on low and placed on the keep warm setting until ready to use
- feel free to adjust any of the individual spices to your liking
- if you don’t use homemade curry, you can substitute store bought curry seasoning
What to serve with Chicken Korma:
- delicious served over steamed brown or white rice
- serve up with a side of fresh cooked veggies like green beans
More Indian Inspired Recipes:
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
- Slow Cooker Beef Curry
- Slow Cooker Tikka Masala
- Slow Cooker Coconut Milk Chicken
- Slow Cooker Coconut Chicken Curry
Slow Cooker Chicken Korma
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup frozen cubed sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons homemade curry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and place in slow cooker along with sweet potatoes
- Add remaining ingredients to high powdered blender and blend until smooth
- Pour over chicken
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-6
- this recipe was made using a 2 quart slow cooker
- simply double the recipe if you would like to serve 3-4 people and use a 3-4 quart slow cooker
- leftovers will keep for 3-4 days tightly covered in fridge
- serve over steamed rice or as desired
- can use store bought curry seasoning blend instead of homemade (but homemade for best results)