I just happen to think it’s time to change our perception on meatloaf! I mean I get it. The name alone can make some of us cringe. We try to be cooler than meatloaf. But don’t you think overall it was kind of a staple for most of us growing up? The kind of meal that we all gathered around the table for after a long day? Whether or not you loved the food hopefully you at least have some warm and lovely memories of the meal (you can block out the part where you were arguing with your siblings:) ). Let’s bring that back for the next generation!! But first, let’s make a few tweaks and updates to the recipe, if that’s okay? Time to put meatloaf back on the table, made even more delicious, and made even simpler using the slow cooker!
What are we going to do to give this recipe new life? Give it a chipotle kick, what else?! That and a nice drizzle of spicy BBQ sauce and you’ve got the most deliciously flavorful meal. Plus a little trick if you have time! After the meatloaf is done, slice it thick. Then heat just a drizzle of oil in a skillet. Sear each side of the piece for a minute or so. Gives it a beautiful presentation and a nice tasty little crust. Not critical, but certainly easy enough and worth the effort to take the meal above and beyond.
And what is meatloaf without mashed potatoes? Nothing in my opinion (ha!). These are a MUST and since we can just make them in the same slow cooker they are really no extra work. With some buttermilk, cream and fresh chives? Not your average side dish! Mashed potatoes on a weeknight? This can totally be done!
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 pound lean ground pork
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons diced shallots (1 small)
- 1½ teaspoon Chipotle Garlic seasoning
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce (I used Raspberry Chipotle)
- 1½ pounds Dutch baby potatoes
- ½ cup buttermilk + more if needed
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream +more if needed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt & pepper
- fresh chives for garnish
- Mix panko bread crumbs and milk in small bowl and let soak for 5 minutes
- Add to pork and beef in a large bowl
- Add egg, cheese, shallot and seasoning
- Mix gently using hands until well mixed but do not overwork
- Form into a loaf shape and transfer to center of large slow cooker
- Top with BBQ sauce
- Place baby potatoes around meatloaf in slow cooker
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8
- Remove potatoes to large bowl
- Add cream, milk, butter and blend using a hand masher or electric mixer
- Add more cream or milk if needed and salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish with chives for serving
- Slice meatloaf into almost 1 inch thick slices
- If desired heat a drizzle of oil in skillet and sear slices of meatloaf for about 1 minute on each side
- Serve drizzled with additional BBQ sauce if desired
Free Guide to Slow Cooking!
Sign up for our newsletters and get an instant download of our Welcome and Getting Started Guide to Slow Cooking!