Slow Cooker Hearty Steak Salad is a simple and fresh meal that makes it easy to eat fresh and healthy even on busy summer nights!
Raise your hand if you think that because the weather is getting warmer, it's time to pack away your slow cooker. Put those hands down and listen up! I can't say this enough times because this is what I truly live and breathe..... warm weather, summer break, spring time evenings.... these are the absolute BEST times to use your slow cooker! So don't pack it up! Give it a permanent spot on the kitchen counter instead and keep a constant rotation of fresh, healthy and delicious meals going everyday, like this Slow Cooker Hearty Steak Salad (aka a Cowboy Salad).
I realize that when you think of slow cooker meals, steak and salad are probably the furthest things from your mind. And at first glance, it does seem a little insane. But trust me on this one, you want a simple meal packed with fresh veggie and yet hearty enough for every appetite? This steak salad has it all plus you get to take away the hard work of standing at the grill and instead enjoy a nice cold beverage while you do the maybe 10 minutes tops worth of work to get this to the table.
Flank steak is the perfect cut of meat for cooking in the slow cooker and makes a great salad topper. Perfectly tender and packed full of flavor and we don't even stop there. It's like a steak dinner on a salad! Packed with hearty little baby potatoes and sweet in season corn-on-the-cob that cooks right there in the same slow cooker. I used my , but any large slow cooker will work.
And forget using store bought dressing here! All you need is:
- sour cream
Making homemade dressings is simple and totally worth it. I actually added a spoonful of my homemade dried ranch seasoning and it was so tasty.
Slow Cooker Hearty Steak Salad
- 1 ½ pound flank steak
- 1 pound baby potatoes
- 3 ears fresh corn on the cob
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons steak seasoning like McCormick Brazilian Steakhouse
- 10 oz mixed greens (like Earthbound Farms Bright Herb)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- ¼ cup blue cheese crumbles
- fresh chives for garnish, optional
For Buttermilk Dressing:
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon homemade ranch seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (dill, parsley, etc.)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place steak in bottom of slow cooker
- Scrub potatoes and cut in half and add to slow cooker
- Drizzle both with some of the canola oil and sprinkle with steak seasoning
- Place shucked and clean corn on a large piece of foil and drizzle with remaining oil
- Sprinkle with some sea salt if desired and wrap tightly and place on top of meat and potatoes in slow cooker
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours
- Remove steak and let set for 10 minutes, then slice thinly against the grain
- Remove corn from cobs using sharp knife
- Whisk together dressing ingredients
- Serve washed salad greens topped with steak, potatoes, corn, tomatoes, cheese, fresh herbs and toss with dressing as desired
Love fresh recipe ideas for your slow cooker? Make sure you check out our delicious make-ahead meal ideas, delivered weekly!
Love making your own seasoning blends? This ranch seasoning is so simple and perfect for keeping on hand for summer meals!
Want a fresh meal idea for chicken? How about these flavorful Jalapeño Peach Chicken Bowls?