Learning how to roast a Slow Cooker Whole Chicken will save you time and money every week and provide delicious meals for days. This process is so quick and easy and very healthy too!
Whenever we have a week where I know we will be running around more than usual but I still really want to make sure we have some healthy (but easy!) meals at home, I will spend Sunday roasting up a whole chicken. Not only does Slow Cooker Whole Chicken make a fabulous Sunday dinner along with some rice and veggies but the leftovers work as a starter for dinners for the rest of the week. Not to mention all the lunches I eat from it as well.
From time to time I will buy an already cooked rotisserie chicken from the deli and they are a nice convenience. However, this recipe is so quick and easy, I urge you to give it a try.
Try this slow cooker whole chicken today!
- I find this whole chicken to be much juicier and more flavorful than store-bought
- It is so easy and quick to throw together. The slow cooker does the work for you, set it and forget it!
- It saves you money! I can find whole chickens for $0.89/pound, usually around 3-4 pounds.
There are a bazillion recipes for Slow Cooker Roasted Chicken out there, but I happen to love this one. It’s easy, I love the citrus flavors with the chicken, and I can pick my favorite herbs.
I use the leftovers on salad, in wraps, or as chicken salad for lunch. It can go in different soups or dishes for easy dinners.
Here are a few ideas:
- Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Spaghetti for Lunch
- Slow Cooker Corn and Black Bean Enchiladas
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese for Lunch
And so many more!!! Let me know what you come with!!!
Learning how to roast a slow cooker whole chicken will save you time and money every week and provide delicious meals for days!
- 4 pound whole chicken
- 4 cups chicken broth (or water)
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 1 small yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 teaspoons dried herbs (I used thyme, oregano and rosemary - could use Italian blend)
- Place chicken in crock
- Pour 2-4 cups broth or water until it covers about half way up the chicken
- Place cut up chunks of orange, lemon, lime, and onion as well as peeled garlic cloves in crock around edges of chicken
- Brush the top of chicken with olive oil and sprinkle with herbs
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 7-9.
- Remove to platter and slice (careful..it's HOT) or use tongs and remove bones - chicken will be very tender and will literally just fall apart
Optional: Place chicken on a broiler safe pan and place under broiler for 3-4 minutes until skin is crispy
*This recipe was originally published on January 13, 2014 and has been updated to reflect fresh photos and any recipe updates as we periodically re-test recipes to improve them and provide even better content*
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!