Everybody has a go to recipe, right? The one that you can make when there’s nothing else because you usually have all the ingredients on hand? The one that everyone in the family will eat and enjoy? It has to be easy otherwise you will end up picking up the phone to order carryout. Again. In our family it’s Slow Cooker Corn and Black Bean Enchiladas. Easy to assemble and everyone is always happy! I’m not even sure they know this is my easy recipe. Maybe I shouldn’t have let the cat out of the bag. They may have thought I was totally awesome making this recipe and that I was slaving away for hours to make them their favorite meal. Well, it’s worth the risk of being found out anyway because I really needed to share this with you in case you need a new “go to” recipe.
I have made these enchiladas for years in the oven. I often make them in the morning and then stick them in the oven around 45 minutes prior to dinner time. The problem was that we would often be walking in the door from piano lessons or choir concerts or whatever and we were hungry! Like now! The solution? My beloved crock pot of course! I had to give it a try and I must say this will be the way I get dinner on the table from now on when we have those busy nights. The tortillas don’t crisp up quite like they would in the oven but the taste and the flavors are still just as yummy!
These are creamy and flavorful and are perfect for your Meatless Monday or any day you want a simple, delicious vegetarian meal. The crisp corn, the protein packed black beans and the juicy tomatoes create a great combo of flavors and textures. Use your best and favorite enchilada sauce in the recipe, it deserves it! Hmmmm…I’m thinking a homemade enchilada sauce would be easy to do in the crock pot. Would it be worth the effort? Let me know what you think!
Slow Cooker Corn and Black Bean EnchiladasPrint Pin Rate
- 8 fajita sized flour tortillas
- 8 oz enchilada sauce
- 8 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes (drained (fire roasted are extra yummy in this recipe))
- 15 oz black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1-2 teaspoon chili powder (how spicy do you want it?)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Spread about 2 tablespoon enchilada sauce in bottom of crock
- Layer with 3 tortillas. Tear them apart if necessary to make them all fit across the bottom
- Mix together cream cheese, tomatoes, beans, and corn with all the spices.
- Take about 1/2 of the cream cheese filling and layer it over the tortillas
- Top with two tortillas and then add the other 1/2 of the cream cheese filling
- Top it all off with the remaining 3 tortillas and top with remaining sauce. Be careful here that you use just enough sauce to cover the top layer but don't add extra. You may have some sauce left over.
- Top it all off with cheese
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!