When the weather starts to turn cool, do you start craving warm bowls of chili? I know I do! If you are a chili purist you may want to look away from many of my chili recipes, because I tend to get a little crazy with them sometimes. I do have a few absolute go-to favorites, but I love trying out different variations! This particular day I must have been feeling a little more traditional because there's no short ribs, no beer and no pulled pork included. Just a delicious simple three bean chili with the little added extra treat of a nice cheesy sauce!
Because of it's simplicity, this version is also very versatile. I made it as a vegetarian meal, but you could easily add chicken, beef or pork. Mix up the kind of bean you add. Throw in some extra veggies. Even change up the cheese you are using. It could be a meal you include on your menu every week but be just different enough each time that no one would get bored!
As a meatless meal, this doesn't take long to cook! Keep in mind if you do add meat or veggies that you will need to increase your cooking time. You will also need to decide how you feel about your beans, which sound odd, I know. But what I mean is that some people don't like to cook their beans all day because they feel it makes them too softened. If you fall in this category and you are cooking meat and veggies, then you will want to consider adding them toward the end just allowing enough time to heat them up.
I prefer just getting everything added to the slow cooker. Sometimes I just don't want any added work at the end of may day. Some days are just like that.
Slow Cooker Cheesy 3 Bean Chili
- 15.5 oz can black beans
- 15.5 oz can navy beans
- 15.5 oz can kidney beans
- 29 oz fire-roasted diced tomatoes (two 14.5 oz cans)
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheese (see note)
- 1 poblano pepper diced (optional)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup milk
- green onions and fresh cilantro for garnish optional
- Drain and rinse beans and add to slow cooker
- Add tomatoes, cheese, pepper and all of the seasonings
- Mix the 2 tablespoons of flour with two tablespoons (or more if needed) of the broth until smooth
- Add to slow cooker
- Stir in remaining broth + milk
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-6 until heated through
- Stir until cheese melted and fully incorporated
- Serve garnished with onions and cilantro or as desired (maybe more cheese and sour cream!!)
Made this for the first time for an office party and it was a big hit. Very easy to make and quite tasty!
That awesome! Glad it was a hit!
Sue S says
what is the milk for? not seeing it in the recipe...am I missing it?
oh geez...thanks Sue!! Wow, I've got that all fixed up now! It helps to create that cheesy sauce right in the chili while it cooks 🙂 Yum!
It's freezing here and all I want is chili!!! Thanks for sharing this I can't wait to try <3
Linda Nerney says
What type of multi cooker do you use. Four quart is quite small.