I also call this my football watching chili! I made this on Friday and then we took it to a tailgate on Saturday. It’s thick, hearty and full of rich delicious meat that will keep you full for hours! Do you tailgate when you go to games? It’s practically mandatory around here. I loved making this ahead and letting it slow cook all day Friday and then all we had to do was heat it on the grill on Saturday. Of course you can also make it for all those at home game watch days!
This was my first time to cook short ribs and I really wasn’t sure how they would turn out but they were super easy to slow cook and ended up just falling off the bones after cooking all day. And they had so much flavor. This will be one of my new favorite ways to make chili!
I sprinkled these with a bit of salt and pepper and then browned them for just 1-2 minutes per side. This help them to hold together and cook low and slow and also helped to seal in the juices a bit while they cooked. Then I tossed the onions and garlic into the still hot pan to let them caramelize. Deglazed it all with a little of the broth to get every bit of the meat from the pan and into the slow cooker!
A few more simple ingredients and you are on your way to having an amazing chili. The seasonings are almost like those of a traditional chili but we are using an ancho chili powder instead of the usual for a smokey flavor that seasons the beef perfectly.
Slow Cooker Beef Short Rib Chili
- 3 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 30 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 6 ounces strong brewed coffee
- 15 ounces canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from chipotle peppers
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons ancho chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat
- Season ribs on both sides with a sprinkle of salt and pepper
- Place ribs in hot skillet and let sear for about 1 to 2 minutes on each side until lightly browned and crusted
- Remove ribs to slow cooker and add onions and garlic to pan
- Let cook another 2-3 minutes while stirring until they start to brown
- Add about 1/4 cup of the broth to the pan and use spatula to scrape off any remaining meat
- Add the onion, garlic and other contents of pan to slow cooker
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine
- Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours
- Remove ribs and shred meat from bones (should shred easily with a fork)
- Discard bones and return meat to slow cooker
- Stir to combine well and add additional seasonings or salt and pepper to taste as desired
You may also like: