Fall is easily a squash obsessed girl's favorite time of year! I signed up (again-I had taken a bit of a break) for a local organic produce delivery service because I wanted an opportunity to try out all different kinds of squash I normally wouldn't think of. That being said there's not much that beats a good 'ole butternut squash. The only issue? The amount of time it takes to peel, cube and cook! While a roasted butternut squash is delicious for sure, often I just don't have the time to mess with it. Equally as delicious? This butternut squash made super simple in the slow cooker.
Seriously. This could not be an easier way to get your squash fix. I simply cut the squash into a few pieces, scooped out the seeds, and let her steam away all day in the crock! Then it was super simple to scoop out the flesh and mash it together with some simple ingredients to make this perfect side dish.
I usually go a little more on the savory side with squash and even sweet potatoes but with this I decided to try out a little sweet. Just a little!! A scoop of brown sugar and a dribble of cream is all it needs. So yum!So tender after steaming that all I needed was a fork to whip this up! And the peeling? So simple after it cooks! Just let it cool enough to handle and peel that skin right off! Add the goodies and you are ready to roll! Enjoy your fall squash and forget all the work!
Slow Cooker Easy Whipped Butternut Squash
- 3 pounds medium sized butternut squash
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon salt to taste
- Cut squash in half at the width (so essentially separate the skinny and fat ends)
- Cut each half into another half lengthwise
- Scoop out seeds
- Pour water into crock and place squash pieces in crock cut side up
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8
- Let cool enough to handle and use a fork to help peel skin from flesh
- Place flesh in bowl and use a fork to whip together with butter, sugar, cream and salt
- Pour any remaining water from crock and return whipped squash to keep warm until ready to serve