Want a great way to eat your veggies? Stuff ’em! Stuffed peppers are so versatile and are simple to make, especially when you use your slow cooker. This vegetarian version is especially easy since there is no precooking of anything involved. Simply mix a few ingredients in a bowl, slice open the peppers, stuff them full and let them cook away for a few hours. A great way to make a wholesome healthy meal!
Do you have a favorite pepper color? I like the orange and yellow the best. Maybe because they are a little sweet? You can use whatever your family likes. Maybe you have a kid who’s favorite color is orange. Well, giving them an orange dinner is a great way to get them to eat their veggies, right? Will they even realize how nutritious these are?
I love black beans for my protein, but again, go with what your family will eat the best. Maybe pinto or white beans are preferable and either of those will work perfectly swapped out here.
Top it all off with a little drizzle of sour cream and maybe a sprinkling of fresh cilantro and you can call this dinner. I absolutely love these complete meals from the slow cooker. Fills everyone up with good nutritious food but takes me very little effort. Just can’t go wrong with a recipe like that!
- 4 large bell peppers, any color
- 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 14.5 oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup Minute Rice Premium
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried cilantro
- ½ cup water + ½ cup water in slow cooker
- 1 cup shredded cheese blend
- Wash peppers, cut off tops and remove ribs and seeds
- In a bowl, mix together beans, tomatoes, rice, seasonings and ½ cup water until well combined
- Stuff into peppers until they are filled to the top
- Add the other ½ cup water to bottom of slow cooker
- Carefully place peppers into slow cooker, filling side up
- Top evenly with cheese
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-6 until peppers are tender and rice is cooked