The question isn’t should you make carnitas in your slow cooker, it’s when will you make carnitas in your slow cooker?! These carnitas are super easy to throw together and cook all day for amazing flavor!
As I mentioned, I’ve tested this recipe using both a pork shoulder and a pork roast.
A pork roast will have more fat and more flavor, but will leave you with a little more grease
- Preparation is simple! Just add the roast to the slow cooker and top with remaining ingredients
- Let it cook all day until tender enough to be shredded
- After shredded, you have the option to place on a baking sheet and broil for a few minutes to crisp up the carnitas
For pork (or other meat) to shred easily, it should reach an internal temperature of 205 degrees F.
If it is still tough, check the temp. It likely needs to cook longer
A 5 quart or larger slow cooker
How to prep ahead:
- Add all ingredients to a freezer safe container or zipper bag
- Store in fridge up to 3 days or freezer up to 3 months
- Thaw fully before cooking
How to store leftovers:
- Let cool completely then store in air tight containers in fridge up to 3 days
Curious about browning the meat before slow cooker and why I didn’t do that for this recipe? Read my post all about it!
Slow Cooker Crispy Garlic Citrus Carnitas
- 4 pound pork shoulder
- 2 jalapeno peppers (diced (ribs and seeds removed))
- 1 sweet onion (diced)
- 2 tablespoons jarred minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Place roast, jalapeno, onion and garlic in slow cooker
- Sprinkle with seasonings
- Stir together broth, orange juice, lime juice, tomato paste and brown sugar
- Pour over roast
- Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours until pork reaches internal temp of at least 201 degrees F
- Remove from slow cooker and shed then return to crock to soak up sauce
- Place on foil lined cookie sheet under broiler until ends get crispy (5-10 minutes) or serve as is
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!