The simplest flavors can come together just right and make the most amazing sauce that will blow away any ideas that chicken for dinner is boring! The key here? Make sure you use bone-in chicken thighs with skin. This is a must! The second must? Brown up that chicken for 6 minutes before you load it into the slow cooker. This will ensure the most flavorful, crispy and amazing chicken to happen in a long time!
This was destroyed in my house in no time! And by destroyed I mean these sometimes picky people at my house (mostly the 3 year old) took it all down in no time! Of course I pulled it all off the bone for the little one.
The sauce here is just a simple little combo of BBQ (you could totally use homemade), lots of good ‘ole honey, and just as much sauce from a can of chipotle peppers that you can handle!
A nice thick sauce that perfectly coats the chicken that we made nice and crispy on the outside. And since we slow cooked it all day the inside says so juicy! No dry, boring chicken anywhere in sight.
- 6 chicken thighs with bone and skin (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers (less if you like things less spicy)
- salt and pepper
- Season chicken thighs with a little salt and pepper
- Heat butter and olive oil in skillet over medium high to high heat
- Skillet is nice and hot when butter is melted and just starts to bubble
- Add chicken skin side down and let brown for about 4 minutes until skin is nice and light brown
- Turn chicken over and let saute on other side for 2 minutes
- Remove chicken to slow cooker
- In small bowl whisk together BBQ sauce, adobo sauce, and honey
- Pour over chicken and cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 until chicken is cooked through
I cooked this in a single layer in my 3.5 quart casserole slow cooker but it would also be fine to layer it up in a regular slow cooker
Be sure not to move chicken around after placing in the hot skillet until it has been cooking for 4 minutes. This will ensure it sticks and browns evenly.