Wow, that’s a lot of you, but I’m not surprised. I’m with you. My daughter sees anything green and she pushes away her plate and sticks her nose in the air while asking for a hotdog. But get those veggies incorporated into a delicious casserole that they won’t even realize is healthy because it’s so tasty? Everyone will snarf it down.
The rest of my house eats veggies pretty well, but I’ve got to admit I was a little nervous serving up a taco casserole that was stuffed full of collard greens. But as it turns out not only did they eat it… they loved it!
But let’s not forget about the tons of protein! Lean ground beef and wholesome black beans (my favorite bean!) makes this a nice complete meal! Top it off with avocado or sour cream or leave it plain. All up to you!
- 1 pound 96/4 Extra Lean Ground Beef
- 1 small Yellow Onion diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper diced
- 1 Yellow or Orange Bell Pepper diced
- 5 cups Shredded Collard Greens
- 1 cup Beef Broth
- 1 pint Sugar Plum Grape Tomatoes halved
- 15 oz can Black Beans
- 18 oz Tomato Sauce with Roasted Garlic
- 3 tablespoons Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 10 Corn Tortillas (I used extra thin)
- 6 oz Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Brown ground beef in skillet over medium high heat until fully cooked, drain any excess grease
- Add onions and peppers and let saute for 2-3 minutes until slightly softened
- Add collard greens and stir well to combine and wilt greens
- Add broth and cover and let simmer for 5 minutes or until greens are wilted
- Remove cover and let simmer until broth fully reduced
- Remove from heat and stir in tomatoes, beans, sauce, and taco seasoning
- Stack half of the tortillas and cut them into thin strips and then into bit sized pieces
- Stir them into beef mixture
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick spray and add casserole mixture
- Top with cheese
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 until veggies and beans are fully cooked and tender
I cooked this on high in my 3.5 quart casserole slow cooker for 3 hours.