If you are ready to get your family to eat a veggie packed meal without complaint, then I’ve got the recipe for you! This Slow Cooker Healthy Taco Casserole is deliciously healthy and perfect for weeknight family meals.Raise your hand if you struggle to get your family to eat a respectable amount of veggies.
Wow, that’s a lot of you, but I’m not surprised. I’m with you. My daughter sees anything green and she pushes away her plate and sticks her nose in the air while asking for a hotdog. But get those veggies incorporated into a delicious casserole that they won’t even realize is healthy because it’s so tasty? Everyone will snarf it down.
The rest of my house eats veggies pretty well, but I’ve got to admit I was a little nervous serving up a taco casserole that was stuffed full of collard greens. But as it turns out not only did they eat it… they loved it!
Add to that peppers, onions and tomatoes and you’ve got a totally veggie packed meal!
But let’s not forget about the tons of protein! Lean ground beef and wholesome black beans (my favorite bean!) makes this a nice complete meal! Top it off with avocado or sour cream or leave it plain. All up to you!
- 1 pound 96/4 Extra Lean Ground Beef
- 1 small Yellow Onion (diced)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (diced)
- 1 Yellow or Orange Bell Pepper (diced)
- 5 cups Shredded Collard Greens
- 1 cup Beef Broth
- 1 pint Sugar Plum Grape Tomatoes (halved)
- 15 oz can Black Beans
- 18 oz Tomato Sauce with Roasted Garlic
- 3 tablespoons Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 10 Corn Tortillas ((I used extra thin))
- 6 oz Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Brown ground beef in skillet over medium high heat until fully cooked, drain any excess grease
- Add onions and peppers and let saute for 2-3 minutes until slightly softened
- Add collard greens and stir well to combine and wilt greens
- Add broth and cover and let simmer for 5 minutes or until greens are wilted
- Remove cover and let simmer until broth fully reduced
- Remove from heat and stir in tomatoes, beans, sauce, and taco seasoning
- Stack half of the tortillas and cut them into thin strips and then into bit sized pieces
- Stir them into beef mixture
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick spray and add casserole mixture
- Top with cheese
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 until veggies and beans are fully cooked and tender
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!