So this was one of those dinners I never even planned. I actually had something else in mind that I had been looking forward to making for a couple weeks. But then I used the chicken from that for something else. So I went and bought some more chicken and then when I opened the bag of potatoes they were bad. So here I was with chicken, mushrooms, and zero potatoes for my originally planned meal. I didn’t want to waste the mushrooms and so the first thing that came to mind was stroganoff!
I’ve made Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff plenty of times. But I’ve heard of people making it with chicken and I knew mushrooms go really well with chicken so I decided to give it a try. Well, everybody at my house ate a couple of helpings and it even made it’s way into a lunchbox! A success in my books!
Sometimes the simplest meals can be the best. This one is pretty easy! Throw some chicken and mushrooms into a baggie with a little flour and some seasonings and shake it up. Add it to the crock with some chicken broth and let it go. At dinner time you can boil up some noodles and/or rice to go with it. While those are cooking you can add some cream cheese and sour cream to the crock and let it all melt/combine.
The way may family gobbled this up made me think I don’t serve these traditional comfort food meals often enough. What are your go to comfort food meals? Does your family have anything they request over and over?
I mean creamy yummy flavorful chicken served over noodles? What more can you ask for?!
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken
- 8 oz package sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream (for later)
- 4 oz cream cheese (for later)
- 1/4 cup cream (optional, for later)
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- Place chicken and mushrooms in large zippered baggie
- Add flour, seasonings and salt and pepper
- Close and shake until evenly coated
- Pour contents of baggie into crock
- Add chicken broth
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8
- About 20-30 minutes before dinner time shred your chicken with two forks right in the crock
- Add cream cheese, sour cream and (optional) cream and give it a stir
- Cover and return heat to low or high if it was on keep warm
- Prepare noodles and/or rice
- Give chicken a final stir to combine the cream cheese and sour cream and serve over rice or noodles as desired
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!