Please! Time!! Just slow down a bit, okay? It’s already well into December and I still don’t even have Christmas decorations up yet! My goal is always to push the slo-mo button and to just try to sit back and enjoy the season, yet time seems to move in fast forward instead. There’s always lot of work to be done before the end of the year, holiday gatherings with family and friends, plus not to mention all the shopping. Which, truth be told, I haven’t even started yet either. But, if nothing else, there will be one or two nights where I fire up the slow cooker, make up a steaming batch of hot chocolate and watch Hallmark Christmas movies until I’ve used up all the tissues in the house.
Last year I was totally into these salted caramel steamers and this year I wanted to add some more options to the slow cooker drink choices. It’s a totally easy way to have hot toasty drinks on hand to serve a crowd, serve the kids. or even keep all to yourself!!
And can you ever go wrong with cookies and cream? No, I didn’t think so. After looking through a few recipes for this sort of thing I decided to make mine a little differently. I didn’t really want to stir the crushed up cookies into the drink because I knew for my daughter (and let’s be honest, for myself too) we may not like that kind of texture. I decided to put together some ingredients that would make up the flavors of the cookies and then just garnish the top with a few crushed cookies instead. I think we nailed it!!
Be prepared. This drink is delicious, but it is also rich and filling! I poured myself a huge mug but only made it a third of the way in before I was totally full! This is certainly a sipping drink, not a slurping drink!! Perfect for those slow down winter days 🙂
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- ¼ - ½ cup powdered sugar (start with less and add more later to taste)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10-12 cookies and cream sandwich cookies (like Oreo's), for later
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Put all ingredient except for cookies into slow cooker
- Cover and heat on low for 2-3 hours until hot and steamy
- Stir until well combined
- Place cookies in a plastic zipper bag and crush
- Ladle hot chocolate into mugs and top with whipped cream and crushed cookies
- Place cream and powder sugar into a large chilled glass or metal bowl
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer whip until cream forms stiff peaks
- Refrigerate until ready to serve
Need a hot steaming drink just for the grown-ups: