With the weather warming up it may not be the time of year where you’d normally think about a warm and comforting stew. But I happen to think a tasty meal packed with veggies all in one pot is perfect any time of year! Plus, don’t you get tired of eating all of those light meals? Sometimes you just need a hearty, stick to your ribs meal, even when the weather is warm.
I love a nice thick tomato based broth for my stew. It goes perfectly with the beef and stands up well to having lots of veggies.
A simple drop biscuit type dough is quick to whip up and adds plenty of heartiness to this dish.
This stew is truly a one-pot meal! You have your veggies, your meat and your bread all in one bowl!
- 1½ pounds of beef stew meat
- 12 ounces of baby carrots
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- ¼ cup of flour
- 1 tablespoon of steak seasoning blend (like Montreal Steak)
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 6 ounces of tomato paste
- 3 cups of beef broth
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- Add beef, carrots and peas to slow cooker
- Add ¼ cup flour, seasoning blend and salt and toss to coat everything with the flour
- Add tomato paste and then slowly stir in broth and stir so that there are not lumps from the flour
- Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours
- Mix together 1 cup flour with baking powder and salt
- Beat egg and add to flour mixture and slowly stir in milk until dough forms
- Stir in parsley
- Return slow cooker to high heat and drop dough in by spoonfuls
- Cover and cook for 30-60 minutes until dumplings are cooked through