A big claim but I can tell you I’ve tried a lot of pulled pork recipes and this one is at the top of my list! A big thanks to Amy who found the original version of this recipe and helped me test out our adjustments to it until we got it just right! So simple yet SO.MUCH.FLAVOR! These have been enjoyed as sandwiches, as tacos, and even just on it’s own. Short of going through a major 48 hour process of smoking and cooking the meat, this slow cooker version will be your new favorite and the best go-to option for slow cooker pulled pork without all the work!
Just the right blend of spice mixes (most you should have on hand) rubbed into a pork shoulder roast and you are well on your way.
No need to brown anything up ahead of time which makes this a quick start meal. Throw it in early in the day and let it slow cook for at least 8 hours for best results.
Just the right amount of apple cider vinegar does the trick to break down the meat to make it more tender plus give it just the right zip of extra flavor.
What’s your usual pulled recipe? Are you going to give this one a try and report back to me on whether or not you love it?
- 4 pound pork shoulder
- 2 tablespoons paprika (try smoked paprika for more of that smoked flavor)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup water
- Mix together all of the dried spices and rub into all sides of the pork
- Place vinegar and water in bottom of slow cooker
- Carefully add pork (so you don't wash off spices)
- Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours
- Remove pork and shred (remove any large fatty pieces and discard)
- Add juices from slow cooker as desired
How to shred the pork?
- Two forks – most labor intensive, but totally doable!
- Meat Shredding Claws – so cool!
- Throw it in your mixer and let it do the work! – lazy? Perhaps. Smart? You betcha!!
How will you use your pulled pork?