No matter if the weather is warm or cold, a comforting bowl of chicken noodle soup is always in order! This Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup is quick and easy to assemble and perfect for sharing with a friend or just having for dinner!
I'm admittedly not generally a fan of chicken noodle soup. I think I just have a notion that you should only have it when you are nursing a cold. BUT this chicken noodle soup is the exception. I could eat it everyday for lunch along with a nice toasty sandwich. Juicy and flavorful chicken thighs (or breasts), mushrooms, rich cream and thin egg noodles. Seriously yum.
We polished off every last bit of this soup at our house. We served it for dinner along with a nice green tossed salad and some crusty bread with butter. It was just enough for 4 bowls plus another ½ bowl for 3 of us.
What spices are good in chicken noodle soup?
- a simple Italian seasoning is delicious but there are other options too
- an herb and garlic seasoning blend adds extra flavor
- poultry seasoning has all the flavors that will complement the soup well
Try out different ones to figure out what your family enjoys the most.
How do you make homemade chicken noodle soup?
- The short answer is that the slow cooker makes it easy! Soup makes such a great slow cooker meal when you will be away all day. No worries about it getting all dried up. And this soup is especially perfect since it required very little prep work.
- Let the chicken and mushrooms simmer away all day with the seasonings. Then when it's dinner time you will add the cream and noodles and bump the heat up to high. Another 30 minutes and dinner is ready!
- I'm willing to bet this will make a welcome and easy addition to your favorite comfort food line up!
Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 8 ounces canned mushrooms, drained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces egg noodles (thick or thin, your preference. I used homestyle Amish noodles)
- Place all ingredients except for cream and noodles in crock
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours until chicken is fully cooked
- Remove chicken and shred or dice and return to crock
- Add noodles and cream and turn slow cooker to high heat
- Let cook for 15-30 minutes until noodles are softened as desired
For a non-creamy but still totally delicious version of chicken noodle soup in your slow cooker, they this Citrus Herb Chicken Noodle Soup!
Since there are carrots in the pics, you should add them to the recipe.
Hi Sam!! Check out the recipes notes where I add instructions if you'd like to add the carrots 😉
Lotz Sandra says
There are carrots in the recipe as optional
Ran across this recipe recently, and it looks yummy! My only concern is that it only calls for 3 cups of chicken broth, which doesn't seem like very much for an entire batch of soup, and as the only liquid (with the exception of the cream added at the end). Is this correct?
Yes, it's correct. It makes about 4 1 1/4-12 cup servings. You can double everything for more or larger servings.
Can i use chicken breast instead?
Hi Christie! I think that would be fine although the breast meat isn't quite as flavorful as the thigh meat.
Could I use rotisserie chicken for this & maybe just add it towards the end since it's already cooked??
Yes, that should work!
How mamy servings does this make? Can it be doubled? Any preference to a certain broth, experience chicken, roasted garlic, etc? Thanks!!!
We had this as a main dish at our house and it fed 2 adults, one hungry teenager and a toddler. If you had some sides you could stretch it further. I don't have a chicken broth preference, use any brand you personally prefer although if you don't use it often you may try a lower sodium broth so you have more control over the salt content. Roasted garlic would be delicious, I'm sometimes able to find roasted garlic powder. Let me know how it turns out!!
Sandra Farrar says
I made this tonight for dinner and it was not only very easy to make but it was also very seriously good. Will definitely make this again many times over. Thanks for the recipe. I have shared it on Facebook as well.
Love it! Makes me so happy 🙂
Absolutely amazing recipe! I did not have Amish noodles but I did find some that looked similar to the pictures so I used those. The house smelled wonderful all day too. I love the consistency once it is finished. I was hoping to have more for leftovers but there is just a little. I will need to make this again soon. I have a friend who wants to make this but has a milk intolerance. I think you would be able to add more broth at the end instead of cream so I will make that suggestion to her. For me...the cream is awesome in this!!
Thanks!!! I'm so glad you loved it! Yes, she could just leave the cream out and have a traditional chicken noodle soup or she could even try a dairy alternative milk. Maybe cashew milk?
sally ebeling says
I sometimes add canned creamed corn to my soups....it is especially good with chicken or turkey soups.
First off I would like to say that I generally avoid recipies with out previous reviews...I guess I'm chicken. There is nothing worse in my opinion than investing money and time into a new recipie for it to be a major flop. This recipie so intrigued me that I could not resist the desire to try it out even without previous reviews. I am so thankful that I did! I will undoubtedly make this recipie the rest of my life! It's super easy, requires little attention, and is absolutely delicious! Make sure you use the Amish noodles, I had never cooked with them before but they offer an element to this recipie that would be lost with ordinary pasta. The only change I made was to use fresh mushrooms, I happened to have some so I sliced them up instead of opening a can. Thank you Jennifer, your now my crock pot hero! I can't wait to try more of you recipies!
Hooray!! I love hearing recipe success stories! 🙂