There’s no better cure for winter time blues than Slow Cooker Spicy Chicken Soup! Only 6 ingredients and less than 10 minutes of prep time, this classic soup with a kick will become your new favorite go-to for colds and cold weather!
It seems everyone has been a bit under-the-weather a lot lately with the sniffles and coughs. My new favorite defense and/or form of medication….. Spicy Chicken Soup!
Besides all of the medicinal qualities of the chicken broth which our grandmas have been using for years, the spiciness of this soup just takes it to a whole new level! After eating this for lunch or dinner, you will be feeling so much better!
How do I make the best chicken soup?
With simple ingredients and just the right amount of spice! I love using my homemade taco seasoning, but your favorite store bought works well too!
To make this soup you will use ingredients you likely have on hand, including:
- chicken breasts
- chicken broth
- diced green chilis
- canned tomatoes
- frozen corn
- taco seasoning
You don’t even have to be sick to love this soup. Everyone else in my family had a minimum of two bowls when I made it. We served it up for dinner with some simple crusty bread and it was such a perfect winter’s night meal.
How to Make in the Slow Cooker:
- Add all ingredients and cover
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8
- After cooking, shred the chicken
- Leave on “keep warm” setting until ready to serve
For Meal Prep:
- This soup heats up perfectly in the microwave for a leftover lunch
- It would also be awesome in one of these little take along Crock-Pot Lunch Crock Food Warmers
- Perfect for freezing and heating up for a quick dinner later
If you love to freeze soups, I recommend these Souper Cubes for perfect portioning and easy storage.
Prep Ahead Instructions:
- Add all ingredients to a freezer safe zipper bag or container
- Store in freezer up to 3 months
- Thaw before cooking in slow cooker
- Can be cooked from frozen in Instant Pot by adding 5 extra minutes to cooking time
How to Make in the Instant Pot:
- Add all ingredients and set pot to “sealing” (decrease broth to 3 cups to account for the sealed cooking)
- Set to high pressure for 10 minutes
- Allow 10 minutes for natural pressure release (don’t touch for 10 minutes after cook time complete)
- Release remaining pressure before opening, then shred chicken before serving
Slow Cooker Spicy Chicken Soup
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 14.5 ounces canned petite diced tomatoes with lime juice and cilantro
- 1 cup frozen sweet white corn kernels
- 4 ounces canned fire-roasted diced green chiles
- 2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning
- Fresh cilantro and avocado for garnish optional
- Add all ingredients except for garnishes to slow cooker
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4
- Use forks to shred chicken
- Serve topped with cilantro or avocado if desired
- If you can't find tomatoes with lime juice and cilantro just substitute regular petite diced tomatoes, 1 tablespoon of lime juice and 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro OR Rotel tomatoes
- I made this in my 4.5 quart round slow cooker on high for 4 hours
- Raw ingredients can be combined and stored in airtight container in freezer for up to 3 months, thaw before slow cooker
- Leftover can be stored in fridge for up to 3 days or freezer for up to 3 months