The meatball obsession continues. This time with a spicy chicken version based on the classic beer can chicken. So, I guess I should start by saying I never knew there was actually arguments/controversies surrounding the methods behind beer can chicken. Does it work, does it flavor the chicken? Well, one of these days I will give it a try, but in the meantime I decided on a foolproof (at least in my mind) method of getting the beer can taste (well, just the beer taste I guess) into the chicken... bake it right into some meatballs!!
There are now lots of seasoning blends out there that you can pick up pretty much anywhere that claim to have a beer flavor. I've tried a few and like them! This time I used I used this kind by Weber which you can get on Amazon or even at Wal-Mart or I imagine most grocery stores. Add it to some ground chicken along with some traditional meatball ingredients and you are well on your way to having the newest way to eat chicken!
Oh yes, but let's not forget the sauce. You've got to add a little of your favorite beer to kick it up a notch. Let it cook low and slow all day for some tender and totally flavor packed meatballs.
Slow Cooker Spicy Beer Can Chicken Meatballs
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons beer can chicken seasoning
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup beer
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- salt & pepper
- Mix together panko bread crumbs and milk and let sit for 5 minutes
- Add the softened breadcrumbs to the chicken, egg, seasoning and parsley in a large bowl
- Use hands to mix together well
- Form into 12 equal sized meatballs
- Place in slow cooker
- Add broth and beer
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4
- Remove meatballs and strain liquid into a saucepan
- Whisk together cornstarch and water and add to broth in saucepan
- Bring to a low boil over medium high heat, reduce heat as it thickens for about 5-7 minutes
- Add 1 tablespoon of cream for a creamier sauce if desired
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Serve sauce with meatballs
Slow Cooker Gourmet is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. If you purchase a product through this link I will earn a small commission. As always, I only recommend products I use and love!