Who says eating lighter/healthier has to be boring? Of course we all like to indulge from time to time. Take this version of potato soup for instance. But you know what? This skinny version is just as delicious and you don’t even have to feel guilty about eating it! Huge tender chunks of potato in a super flavorful AND creamy broth make this a dinner I would love to eat any night of the week!
I’m not into New Year’s resolutions so much, but I have been realizing my meals have been leaning a little more on the indulgent side lately. I like to find a good balance and this soup goes a long way toward that.
The key is finding some really creamy style potatoes like these delicious fingerling potatoes. Then a nice mix of herbs with onions and garlic in the broth cooking all day creates loads of flavor. Finally you add just a bit of whipped chive cream cheese to add the creaminess. The perfect potato soup!
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried chives
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup whipped cream cheese with chives (for later)
- Fresh herbs for garnish (optional, I used parsley)
- Wash and cut potatoes into large chunks
- Add to slow cooker along with diced onion and minced garlic
- Add in broth and seasoning
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 until potatoes are tender
- Whisk in cream cheese and let continue to cook and heat through for another 15-20 minutes
- Whisk again until broth is smooth and cream cheese is fully incorporated
- Served garnished with fresh herbs or as desired
You may have to give this a few extra whisks to fully incorporate cream cheese. It may look separated at first, but don't panic. Keep whisking and let heat through and it will become smooth.
Free Guide to Slow Cooking!
Sign up for our newsletters and get an instant download of our Welcome and Getting Started Guide to Slow Cooking!