And it’s all done in ONE slow cooker! Is there anybody here who doesn’t love how easy that is? It’s like a perfectly old-fashioned family chicken dinner but updated! The flavors are are stepped up a notch with balsamic, rosemary and sharp white cheddar cheese. But still delicious enough the whole family will dig in. My favorite kind of meal.
Start out with your favorite pieces of chicken. We used drumsticks, wings and thighs. Rub them down with a good but simple seasoning blend of rosemary, mustard, salt and pepper and brown them up nice and quick in a super hot skillet. Finish it all if with a nice drizzling of balsamic and let it cook into the chicken for just a bit.
- 2 to 2½ pounds chicken pieces, bone-in, skin-on (I used thighs, wings and drumsticks)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried crushed rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon dried ground mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1½ pounds red skinned potatoes
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in butter in large skillet (or multicooker) over medium high to high heat
- Season chicken on both sides with rosemary, mustard, salt and pepper
- Place chicken skin side down in skillet and let cook without moving for 6-8 minutes or until nicely browned
- Flip chicken and pour balsamic vinegar all over chicken in pan
- Let simmer/brown for another 4 - 5 minutes
- Peel and dice potatoes (the smaller they are the faster they cook)
- Place in slow cooker and add broth - be sure potatoes are completely covered (add water if needed)
- Top with chicken
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 until chicken is fully cooked through
- Remove chicken and drain potatoes
- Place potatoes in large mixing bowl
- Add cream, butter and cheese
- Mix with potato masher or electric mixer if you want them more whipped
- Add salt and pepper to taste and give a final mix
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!