Have you hit chili overload yet? Not me! I may be super tired of the sub-zero temps and the bone-chilling wind but I continue to try to see the positive… and that’s eating more chili! I can really never get enough because there are just so many ways to make it. And every time I post a new one I tell you guys it’s my new favorite. I should probably stop saying that. Except not yet. Because this one is my new favorite.
This chili contains one of my newest obsessions…ancho chili powder. Smokey and mild it gives kind of a Mexican flavor twist to keep things interesting.
Chock full of jalapeno and poblano peppers as well as onions this chili has a super fresh taste! It’s also loaded with lots of juicy shredded chicken and protein packed black beans. Mmmmm!
And the key flavor here that takes it to the next level? All the roasted tomato action! Fire roasted diced tomatoes on top of roasted tomato salsa = my new favorite must have flavor in everything!
Oh! And how did I forget to mention this part?! The secret trick that makes the chicken so super rich and flavorful tasting? We are going to brown it up in just a little butter before throwing it in the crock. Amazing and worth the effort. Totally promise. Still freezing where you are? Go warm up with this chili. Quick!!
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts ((I used tenders))
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 small sweet onion (diced)
- 2 jalapenos (diced (ribs and seeds removed))
- 1 poblano pepper (diced (ribs and seeds removed))
- 29 ounces fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces roasted garlic tomato sauce
- 15 ounces black beans, drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup roasted tomato salsa
- 1 teaspoon jarred minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 2 teaspoons regular chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon dried cumin
- fresh cilantro (shredded cheese, sour cream for garnish)
- Heat butter in skillet over medium high heat
- Add chicken and sear on each side for 2-3 minutes until lightly browed
- Add to slow cooker with remaining ingredients and stir
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours
- Serve garnished with fresh cilantro, cheese and sour cream or as desired
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!