One of my favorite meals all summer long is herbed turkey burgers that I make on the grill. I usually make 4 – 6 burgers just for myself and eat them all week. I forgo the bun and just eat them dipped in a little mayo with a side of veggies and then pat myself on the back for eating so healthy. I’ve been craving the burgers lately but since winter just won’t leave I haven’t been too excited about firing up the grill. So instead I got to thinking about a way I could make these in the crockpot instead!
There are so many ways you could serve these but since I usually like them with some sauteed zucchini I decided to stick with that. I used my handy dandy Spiralizer to make noodles out of a zucchini and a yellow squash. Super fast and super duper tasty!
If you don’t have a spiralizer you could also just julienne the squash or just slice them very thin before you saute them. But the twirly noodles you can make with the spiralizer make it so much fun! My kids called them noodles and gobbled them all down.
I used a ground turkey mixture that had a little dark meat included. I love the flavor and it helps keep the meatballs moist. I think you probably could use all white meat since this recipe uses mayo right in the mix if you want to keep it leaner but flavor-wise I think you are better going for a mixture. Using all dried herbs makes this super easy but use fresh by all means if that’s what you have! It’s all about fresh 🙂
- For meatballs:
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon garlic power
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon dried sage
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Other ingredients:
- 1 zucchini squash
- 1 yellow squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Ricotta cheese (optional)
- Jarred pesto sauce (optional)
- Mix all meatball ingredients in mixing bowl until combined
- Form into rounds the size of golf balls and place in crock (makes about 8)
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8
- Spiralize, julienne, or slice zucchini and yellow squash
- Saute for 3-8 minutes with olive oil and Italian seasoning until softened
- Serve squash with meatballs and a dollop of ricotta and pesto if desired
Free Guide to Slow Cooking!
Sign up for our newsletters and get an instant download of our Welcome and Getting Started Guide to Slow Cooking!