Looking for an easy yet tasty meal that you can throw in the slow cooker with ingredients you likely already have? How about this simple yet tasty Slow Cooker Goulash?
You know it’s a good recipe when every last bite of leftovers gets eaten at my house! I test so many recipes that there’s always a lot of leftovers to chose from, but this was a new favorite for my family.
And to be clear, this is American Goulash, which is essentially a meaty, tomato based macaroni. I wanted to create a simple version of what is likely a classic favorite in many of your homes growing up, using up some fresh peppers if you have them on hand.
I love making this in the slow cooker. Even the pasta cooks in there! That saves time because you don't need to boil water and hassle with extra work. See my tips below for making sure you pasta turns out just right.
Use a lean ground beef or drain any excess grease
You can use almost any combination of tomatoes and tomato sauce you have on hand
If you use less pasta sauce, add a little more seasoning as pasta sauce has more flavor than regular tomatoes
- I used elbow noodles, which is the most classic for this dish, but you could try out other variations like penne pasta.
Brown ground beef and add to slow cooker
Stir in all remaining ingredients except pasta which we will add toward the end
Cover and let simmer all day
Add the pasta in the last 30-45 minutes and be prepared to eat right away when it’s done so it doesn’t get too soft from overcooking
I used my multi cooker to brown the meat then cook everything in the same pot. You can also cook the meat in a skillet and transfer to the slow cooker.
I used macaroni noodles but I you could also substitute penne or another kind of pasta. Cooking times may vary.
How To Prep Ahead
Cook and cool ground beef and add to a freezer safe container or zipper bag
- Add all remaining ingredients except pasta
- Store in fridge up to 3 days or freezer up to 3 months
- Thaw fully before cooking
- I have so many other popular pasta recipes on my site if you like making pasta in your slow cooker. Buffalo Chicken Pasta is always a reader favorite.
How To Store Leftovers
- Let cool completely, then store in air tight containers in fridge up to 3 days
Slow Cooker Goulash
Looking for an easy but tasty meal that you can throw in the slow cooker with ingredients you likely already have? How about this simple yet tasty Slow Cooker Goulash?
- 1 pounds ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 teaspoons jarred minced garlic
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and diced
- 2 cups tomato basil pasta sauce
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 15 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon herb and garlic seasoning
- 6 oz pasta noodles
- Brown ground beef and add to slow cooker
- Stir in all remaining ingredients except pasta which we will add toward the end
- Cover and cook 2-3 hours on high or 4-6 on low (can let simmer on low up to 8 hours)
- Add the pasta in the last 30-45 minutes and be prepared to eat right away when it’s done so it doesn’t get too soft from overcooking
I used macaroni noodles but I imagine you could also substitute penne or another kind of pasta. Cooking times may vary.
Cook & cool ground beef, add to freezer safe container or bag
Add all remaining ingredients except pasta
- Store in fridge up to 3 days / freezer up to 3 months
Thaw fully before cooking
Let cool, store in air tight containers in fridge up to 3 days
Calories: 294kcalCarbohydrates: 34gProtein: 21gFat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 688mgPotassium: 906mgFiber: 4gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 688IUVitamin C: 33mgCalcium: 74mgIron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @slowcookergourmet or tag #slowcookergourmet!Important nutritional disclaimer
Can I use spegettie sauce
I am not sure what possessed me to prep 3 freezer bags for this as well as one for today. Growing up I absolutely loved goulash so I was very excited for this slow cooker recipe. However I found it lacked flavor and that true goulash taste. The bell peppers in the slow cooker all day really overpowered everything else. I have 3 bags in the freezer, so I’ll play around and see what can be done to improve.
I put pasta in by mistake will it be ok
Kathleen McDermott says
I love recipes like this. So easy to improvise and substitute with what you have on hand. Foolproof and always satisfying. Will make this week with vegetarian meat. Thank you. P.S. Loved reading the questions - like a Monty Python skit.
Do you boil your noodles before you put in crockpot
How many does this feed?
Do you cook the pasta before hand
Nope, it will cook right in the slow cooker!
I used 2 cups of tomato sauce with fresh basil. Also used Italian seasoned diced tomatoes. Instead of bell pepper used 1/2 can of mixed veggies. Instead of water used beef broth. This recipe is great and takes substitutions well!
This is so delicious just what I was looking for!
What setting on crockpot?
Low 4hr. or 8hr low, recipe
Thanks for the heads up! I've updated the instructions. You'll cook 2-3 hours on high or 4-6 on low.
What if you don't have her and garlic seasoning?
You could make your own blend or it's available to order from Amazon.