If I eat these with Skinny Mashed Potatoes it qualifies them as healthy right? Okay, fine. But nonetheless they are still the perfect pair. These chicken meatballs are so tender and flavorful and the cream gravy with asiago cheese is amazing. Worth a little splurge even at this time of the year!
Such a perfect comfort food meal for this cold blast we are having right now. Do you have snow where you are? We don't have more than a dusting but just the cold itself makes me want to permanently curl up under a blanket at home.
I browned these up with a little butter in the skillet and then left them to simmer in the slow cooker the rest of the day. The cheese and cream gets added at the end to make the most delicious gravy you've ever tasted.
Serve it up with any number of veggie sides for a perfect winters night meal.
Slow Cooker Chicken Meatballs with Asiago Cream Gravy
- 1 pound ground chicken
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup shredded asiago cheese
- Add all meatball ingredients except for mushrooms and butter into a small bowl
- Work together with hands until combined but don't overwork or your meatballs will get tough
- In large skillet over medium high heat melt butter
- Carefully add meatballs and cook for about 2 minutes on each side until lightly browned
- Transfer to slow cooker and add mushrooms
- Whisk together broth and cornstarch
- Pour over meatballs
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-6 until meatballs are fully cooked through
- Remove meatballs and stir in cream and cheese (adding more of either to taste if desired)
- Return meatballs to gravy in crock and let simmer another 30 minutes on high for gravy to thicken slightly
- Garnish with fresh thyme and parsley if desired