Nothing like the feeling of making your family’s faces light up when they sit down to the dinner table than by setting a huge plate of nachos in front of them! Or, you could keep them all for yourself! Whatever works…just make these delicious and easy nachos right away! Use your slow cooker to make a big batch of juicy enchilada chicken and then dinner time prep will be no problem!
I made a simple homemade enchilada sauce to beat all enchilada sauces! A little smoky with some ancho chili powder and roasted garlic tomato sauce but you could go a little more traditional with plain tomato sauce and regular chili powder.
If you make up the sauce ahead of time you can just throw it in the slow cooker with the chicken early in the day without any stress. Then when it’s done, simply shred it up and it’s ready to use.
On a big sheet pan, lay out your chips and then top with shredded cheese and plenty of the chicken. I highly recommend shredding your own cheese from a block, by the way, because it won’t have the anti-caking powder on it and therefore will melt much easier. I recently got myself this salad shooter for the sole purposes of shredding cheese (we eat a lot of cheese I guess!) and it’s amazing. Of course, another easy and quick option is a box grater like the one I’ve used for years.
Melt that cheese in the oven for a few minutes then the real fun begins…toppings! Think anything and everything you’d want in or on your enchiladas. I went for black beans, corn, tomatoes, onions, sweet peppers, cilantro and, of course, plenty of sour cream. You’re only limited by your imagination here!
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Nachos
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 oz can roasted garlic tomato sauce or you could use regular
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder or sub regular
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch mix with equal amount of water to make slurry
- 15 oz bag tortilla chips
- 12 oz shredded cheese blend I used cheddar and monterey jack
- 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 4 baby sweet peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Add chicken to slow cooker
- Whisk together tomato sauce, broth, seasonings and cornstarch blend until smooth
- Pour over chicken in slow cooker
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8
- Remove and shred cooked chicken
- Add sauce from slow cooker to chicken as needed
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Spread out chips on large cookie sheet
- Top with cheese and chicken
- Bake until cheese is melted
- Remove and let cool slightly
- Top with remaining toppings as desired
Can’t get enough nachos?
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Nachos