Isn’t is funny how sometimes the simplest recipes that come from ingredients you already have on hand can actually become family favorites? This Slow Cooker Spicy Chicken Enchilada Soup is one of those recipes sure to become a staple in your house!
It seems like I never make my soups and chilis the same way twice so here I am sharing yet another version with you. I started out calling this a chili because it’s a little thicker than a soup and also had beans. But the idea and the flavors probably better fit the idea of a soup! Either way it’s super easy to throw together and you could add any number of veggies or beans to customize it. I love the nice juicy chunks of chicken and tomatoes not to mention the crunchy tortilla strips to top it all off. You just can’t go wrong with this Slow Cooker Spicy Chicken Enchilada Soup no matter what you call it.
I always find myself coming back to these types of recipes when I’m feeling too tired to “cook” or make a big mess. It always saves us from going out to eat and they often turn out to be some of our favorite meals.
What is in enchilada soup?
- chicken breasts can go in whole and then you can simply shred. Or chop if you prefer the texture and have a few extra minutes
- enchilada sauce – make sure to use your favorite since this will form the base flavors. You can go with homemade or your favorite jarred brand (mine is Trader Joe’s!)
- canned tomatoes make it easy (they are already balanced and peeled)
- a poblando pepper for flavor and freshness
- tortilla strips – homemade are great and I’ve included the recipe below. But in a pinch, I also love these.
Isn't is funny how sometimes the simplest recipes that come from ingredients you already have on hand can actually become family favorites? This Slow Cooker Spicy Chicken Enchilada Soup is one of those recipes sure to become a staple in your house!
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 28 ounces whole peeled tomatoes
- 10 ounces enchilada sauce
- 15 ounces white beans (I used navy beans)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 poblano pepper (seeded and diced)
- 1 tablespoon homemade taco seasoning
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (I used roasted garlic powder)
- chopped cilantro
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- Place soup ingredients in slow cooker
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8
- Using forks or a potato masher mash the tomatoes into smaller pieces and shred chicken
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Stack tortillas and cut into thin strips
- Toss with olive oil and garlic powder
- Place in single layer on baking sheet and bake for 6-8 minutes until crispy and starting to brown
- Serve chili in bowl topped with tortilla strips as well as cheese, cilantro and sour cream or as desired
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!