It seems like I never make my soups and chilis the same way twice so here I am sharing yet another version with you. I call this a chili because it’s a little thicker than a soup and also had beans. It super easy to throw together and you could add any number of veggies or beans to customize it. I love the nice juicy chunks of chicken and tomatoes not to mention the crunchy tortilla strips to top it all off.
I always find myself coming back to these types of recipes when I’m feeling too tired to “cook” or make a big mess. It always saves us from going out to eat and they often turn out to be some of our favorite meals.
I think that’s just one of the reasons I love my slow cooker so much. It lets me put together a dinner out of what we have in the fridge and pantry and still feel good about the meal I’m feeding my family.
Plus…I’m pretty much a fan of anything that can be topped off with sour cream and cheese! What’s a favorite meal you’ve made for your family with stuff you’ve had on hand? What do you like to throw in the slow cooker on super busy days?
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 (28oz) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 (10oz) can enchilada sauce
- 1 (15oz) can white beans (I used navy beans)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and diced
- ½ - 1 tablespoon homemade taco seasoning
- 4-6 corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (I used roasted garlic powder)
- chopped cilantro
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- Place soup ingredients in slow cooker
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8
- Using forks or a potato masher mash the tomatoes into smaller pieces and shred chicken
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Stack tortillas and cut into thin strips
- Toss with olive oil and garlic powder
- Place in single layer on baking sheet and bake for 6-8 minutes until crispy and starting to brown
- Serve chili in bowl topped with tortilla strips as well as cheese, cilantro and sour cream or as desired
Free Guide to Slow Cooking!
Sign up for our newsletters and get an instant download of our Welcome and Getting Started Guide to Slow Cooking!