Who doesn't love a meal in a bowl? These Slow Cooker California Chicken bowls utilize fresh ingredients along with the ease of the slow cooker for a fresh amazing meal.
Just like the other day when we talked about making a delicious and light goat cheese sauce in the slow cooker to go with all those summer veggies, today I'd like to talk about making a super quick chicken that will go with so many things. And today we are going to use that easy to make chicken to make these amazing California Chicken Bowls.
The key is just to find a seasoning blend you really love with chicken. Then you simply toss the chicken with a little seasoning and add it to the slow cooker. You can have it diced up beforehand or you can just put it in whole and shred it up when done cooking. Your choice. I chose to chop it up for these bowls but if I was using for sandwiches I would shred it.
For my veggies I chose a nice light summer blend of zucchini (who doesn't have it running out their ears?), fresh corn, sweet tomatoes and plenty of basil. And how could I forget, some avocado, of course!
Perfect over some nice chewy farro, this is a deceivingly hearty meal perfect for busy (or lazy!) summer nights!
Slow Cooker California Chicken Bowls
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into chunks)
- 2 teaspoons seasoning blend (see notes)
- ¼ - ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 cups quinoa or farro
- 3 ears of corn
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 zucchini (sliced and quartered)
- ½ teaspoon seasoning blend (see notes)
- 2 small avocados
- 1 lime
- more salt
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbles
- 4-6 oz cherry tomatoes
- a bunch of fresh basil leaves
- Add chicken to slow cooker and toss with 2 teaspoons of seasoning blend and chicken broth
- Cover and cook on low for about 6 hours or high for about 3 until chicken is fully cooked
- Cook quinoa or farro according to package directions
- Cut corn from cob and sauté in small skillet with olive oil and a little salt and pepper until tender
- Remove corn and add zucchini and ½ teaspoon of seasoning and sauté until slightly tender and lightly browned
- Remove flesh of avocados and smash together with juice from one lime and a little pinch of salt
- Serve bowls with grain, chicken, corn, zucchini and avocado and topped with cheese crumbles, tomatoes and basil slivers or as desired
Slow Cooker Gourmet is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. If you purchase a product through this link I will earn a small commission. As always, I only recommend products I use and love!
Want more summer refreshing slow cooker ideas?