Mac and Cheese is amazing on it’s own, but when you add your favorite beer you end up with a grown-up comfort food you’ll want to make again and again. Even better? Slow Cooker Beer Mac & Cheese!
Attention grown-ups!! You never have to eat mac and cheese from a box again! Why? Because using your slow cooker to make delicious homemade mac and cheese, and more specifically Slow Cooker Beer Mac & Cheese, is so easy that once you try it you will never go back! Plus, what packaged mac and cheese that you know of comes with beer? Beer mac and cheese. A real thing. A real good thing.
Did I mention how simple this is to make? Just 5 ingredients into the slow cooker will get you started! Some nice lean stew meat makes this a delicious beefy meal that will be plenty filling even for hearty appetites! A simple seasoning blend makes for an all in one option that makes prep even that much quicker. Could this recipe possibly get any better??
- 1 pound beef stew meat
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup stout beer
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire pub burger seasoning
- 14.5 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 8 oz pasta noodles for later (see note)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup stout beer
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Add all pasta ingredients except for noodles to slow cooker
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 until meat is cooked through
- Stir in pasta noodles and return slow cooker to high for 15-45 minutes (see note) until liquid is absorbed and noodles are al dente (add more liquid 1/4 cup at a time if needed)
- In the meantime, melt butter in saucepan over medium high heat
- Whisk in flour until smooth
- Slowly whisk in beer (keep whisking so you don't get lumps) and let simmer for 2-3 minutes
- Slowly stir in milk while continuing to whisk and then let simmer while whisking occasionally until thickened (about 4-6 minutes)
- Stir in cheese and remove from heat
- Add salt and pepper to taste if desired
- Stir cheese sauce into finished pasta and serve
Note about pasta: use an elbow noodle for best results. I recommend the Barilla Pronto! noodles for the best result in the slow cooker.
Cooking notes: I cooked this on low for 7 hours then on high for 25 minutes with the pasta noodles
Mac & Cheese in the Slow Cooker is amazing! Try out these other delicious recipes too!!
Can’t figure out what to make for dinner every night? Let us help!!
Free Guide to Slow Cooking!
Sign up for our newsletters and get an instant download of our Welcome and Getting Started Guide to Slow Cooking!