Can you have an amazing, delicious, impressive meal on the table in 20 minutes? Yes!!! A good meal doesn’t have to be fussy or time-consuming. This Thai Basil Beef uses fresh ingredients, homemade sauce and ground beef and yet can be whipped up in no time. Asian inspired meals like this are just the kind my family loves. This one is no exception and actually jumped to the top of the charts for preferred meals that should go in our standard rotation. Hopefully this will be a winner for you too!
This would be perfect to try out on a day when you didn’t get a chance to start your slow cooker meal. A quick stop at the store and you could grab all the ingredients. Having a few staples on hand like jarred minced garlic and ginger as well as bottled lime juice will make super quick work of so many meals like this.
Add in some fresh red chili peppers, carrots, and basil for even more fresh flavor. You can heat up the skillet and have your beef browning while you do the little bit of chopping and whisking that needs to be done.
- 2 pound ground beef
- 2 teaspoons jarred minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon jarred minced ginger
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup beef broth
- 4 oz baby carrots (or regular carrots, peeled)
- 1 red chili pepper (I used a Fresno pepper)
- 1 teaspoon freeze dried basil
- ⅓ cup + 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon bottled lime juice (or fresh squeezed)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Heat skillet over medium high heat
- Crumble ground beef into skillet stirring occasionally while it browns
- While beef is browning slice carrots into thin slivers or matchsticks
- Cut pepper in half lengthwise and remove ribs and seeds, then slice each half into thin pieces
- Whisk together chili sauce, soy sauce, lime juice and fish sauce
- Drain excess grease from fully cooked beef
- Add garlic and ginger and stir for 1-2 minutes to cook
- Add broth to deglaze the pan and simmer for 1-2 minutes
- Add carrots, pepper and basil and continue to saute for 3-4 minutes until veggies start to soften
- Add the sauce you whisked earlier and let simmer while stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes
- Serve over rice or noodles and garnished with fresh basil leaves, extra chili peppers and lime wedges or as desired
Free Guide to Slow Cooking!
Sign up for our newsletters and get an instant download of our Welcome and Getting Started Guide to Slow Cooking!