How about a quick, weeknight, vegetarian meal that even picky little kids will eat?! (Or at least my picky little kid did!) Are your kids particular about what they will eat? This “I don’t like it” stuff from an otherwise adorable 3 year old is making me crazy. My expectations were too high. My teenage son eats and has always eaten most anything. Except cake. The kid does not like cake! Weird. Anyway, all this to say I was pretty pumped when she actually ate this! We all loved it and instead of packaging up the leftovers like a respectable person would do we just all had another helping and stuffed ourselves until we could barely walk out of the kitchen.
The good news? This meal took less than 30 minutes to prepare! The not so good news? Sorry….that doesn’t include clean up time. But since it’s all done in one skillet then I think we can agree it’s doable, right? Pull out your favorite skillet and your knife and cutting board and get to work!
There are some time saving tricks you could utilize here that I was apparently not smart enough to think of before I jumped into this. Presliced mushrooms. Already shredded cheese? They even make onions that are chopped and frozen, all ready to go! Have you tried them? At least I remembered to use my jar of minced garlic!
This is one of those skillet meals that allows you to throw one thing in the skillet to start cooking and while that’s going on you can be chopping the next. And since we left the meat out there is no cross-contamination to worry about.
Get your beautiful veggies all sautéed up. Then get the broth simmering. Get that gnocchi in there (which cooks super fast!). Then finish it all off with some cream, cheese and seasoning. Mmmmmm…. quick comfort food!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 small yellow onion diced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 small red pepper diced
- 8 ounces portobello mushrooms sliced
- 3 ounces baby spinach (about 2 handfuls)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound packaged gnocchi
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cups shredded sharp white cheddar
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large skillet
- Dice your onions and add them to the heated skillet
- Saute the onions for about 2-3 minutes until they just start to soften while you slice your pepper
- Let the pepper cook another 3-4 minutes while you clean and slice your mushrooms
- Add the mushrooms and let everything cook until it starts to soften and become tender or about 5-8 more minutes
- Add spinach and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes until spinach wilts
- Add broth and bring to a boil
- Add gnocchi and let boil until tender, about 3 minutes
- Add cream and seasonings and let simmer another 1-2 minutes until heated through
- Remove from heat and stir in shredded cheese until melted smooth
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!