How about the Royals?!?! This is a very exciting time to be in KC!! I really know nothing about baseball and so I will spare you listening to me trying to discuss the game. But I had to at least give a mention!! I’ve been to plenty of games where they lost but boy are the fans still loyal. It’s great to see all those years of loyalty finally paying off! And now it’s my turn to (weakly!) transition this talk to food by saying that all you wonderful fans of whatever your team might be watching the game from home should make yourself some of these creamy, cheesy and delicious potatoes to enjoy from the comfort of the couch!
Potatoes that are so simple to make that you can easily pop them in the slow cooker for a game day, a holiday, or any day! These would be delicious served with pulled pork, brisket, or even turkey or chicken. Game day food or fancy dinner…they are very versatile.
I used up a bag of cute little fingerling potatoes that I had on hand. Any other cute little potato should work just as well! Just don’t use russet potatoes. While those are great for baked or mashed potatoes they won’t hold up well in this kind of slow cooked recipe. You need your potatoes to still hold their shape and “bite” so that they can stand up to the delicious creamy cheesy sauce!
Use your favorite mix of herbs and your favorite cheese! This dish is all for you! I will probably make it again and try some different cheese/herb combos. This will truly become a staple side dish at our house.
Hmmm. I just remembered I have another little bag of these potatoes waiting for me! I think it’s safe to say you will find me parked on the couch chowing down on another helping of these cheesy bites of yummy potato in the super near future!
- 1 1/2 pounds fingerling potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freeze dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (preferably white, I used sharp white cheddar)
- Wash potatoes and cut in half lengthwise (a few were much larger so I quartered them)
- Add to crock and toss with melted butter, herbs, salt and pepper
- Cover and cook on high for 2-4 hours or low for 5-8 (depends on size of potatoes)
- Add cream and cheese and stir to coat
- Return to high heat for 15-30 minutes until heated through and cheese is melted
I cooked these on high in my 3.5 quart slow cooker for 4 hours and other 15 minutes on high for the sauce.