Do you have a favorite type of enchilada you love to make/eat? Or are there just too many options to narrow it down to one? That’s pretty much the way I feel, I mean, are there really any bad ones? I love the endless ideas I see out there and sometimes the ideas for flavor combos just pop into my head. Sometimes they don’t turn out like I hoped, but then again, sometimes they are way better than I could have ever imagined. Like these! I slow cooked some Adobo Chicken and made a simple but tasty homemade Lemon Cream Sauce for one of the best new enchilada dishes I’ve had in a very long time!
Utilize your slow cooker to make the best and most flavorful chicken that is just a tad spicy. Once it’s done you can shred it all up and have it ready to go! If you’re feeling ambitious you could even make a double batch and freeze half of it for next time.
Making the lemon cream sauce might sound hard, but it actually only takes 5 ingredients and a few minutes. It’s the perfect cool creaminess to offset the smoky spicy chicken.
Pile it high with cheese (of course!) and bake for a few minutes to make a simple weeknight dinner that’s anything but boring!
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers
- 2 tablespoons enchilada sauce optional
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 6-8 taco sized flour tortillas
- 4 oz shredded monterrey jack cheese
- fresh cilantro optional
- Add all adobo chicken ingredients to a small (2-3 quart) slow cooker
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8
- Shred chicken
- In saucepan melt butter and whisk in flour until smooth
- Add in broth slowly while continuing to whisk until combined
- Let simmer while whisking until slightly thickened (about 3-4 minutes)
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and lemon juice (add a pinch of salt if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Assemble adding a small ladle of sauce to bottom of small casserole dish (I used a 5x8 dish)
- Divide chicken among 6-8 tortilla and roll and place seam side down in dish
- Pour remaining sauce over top and sprinkle with cheese
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and lightly browned
- Let set for about 15 minutes before serving
- Top with fresh cilantro, if desired
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!