It’s official. Summertime is here again. And based on the oven like temps that we’ve had around here for the last month, it’s going to be a toasty one. Thankfully our backyard and more specifically our patio have shade in the afternoon and evening, because as much as I love my slow cooker I also like to get out to the grill now and then. And one of my favorite things to grill up? Some fresh summer corn. I love fresh sweet corn, not only for buttering it up and eating it right off the cob, but also for slicing it off the cob and using it in delicious salads and side dishes.
Whether you head out to the farmer’s market or to your local grocery store, hopefully you find an abundance of fresh summer produce. I love summer for many reasons, but naturally, the selection of food is my number one.
Why am I sharing a grilling recipe here on my slow cooking blog? Because I’ve got a great chicken recipes (coming up Friday) that I will be sharing for the slow cooker that pairs perfectly with this salad. Make up a big ‘ole batch and have it as a delicious side dish all week.
With fresh cherry tomatoes, creamy avocado and lots of lime juice and cilantro, you can’t go wrong with this healthy summer side!
- 3 ears fresh corn (remove husk and clean)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4-6 oz cherry tomatoes
- 1 large avocado
- 2 tablespoon red onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon jarred minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper
- Preheat grill to a medium high heat
- Brush corn with olive oil and place on grill
- Grill for about 10 minutes on each side or until tender crisp (the time will vary a lot depending on your grill temp, where you place the corn and what else you are cooking. Just watch it closely)
- Let cooked corn cool then using a sharp knife carefully stand the corn on end and run the knife down each side to remove the kernels
- Cut cherry tomatoes and avocado into large chunks and add to corn
- Finely dice the red onion and add to corn mixture
- Add lime juice, garlic and cilantro and gently toss to combine
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- You can drizzle with a little additional olive oil if desired (just a touch though, maybe a teaspoon)