Need a great way to get the kids to eat their veggies? Let them help with meal prep!! Plus, add a creamy sauce and flaky topping to all these veggies, and who isn't going to want to dig right in?! This pot pie is a great way to add any veggie you like to your dinner and still keep it simple. It's a one-dish meal that comes together by using a combo of fresh and frozen veggies, a simple homemade sauce and a flaky pre-made crust. To me that's what balance in creating wholesome meals is all about.
Yes, this is really what happens in our house. The sous chef/recipe critic climbs right up and declares her intent to help me "make recipes!". I love it when she helps! But, I do have to keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't add an extra ¼ cup of salt to anything while I'm working on something else! She just wants to be helpful, you know. 😉
You are essentially going to want about 6 or 7 cups of veggies plus some onion, garlic and herbs. You can see above what we used for our pot pie. Do as much or as little chopping as you want by using more or less frozen or prepared veggies.
Get these all loaded up into your slow cooker! You will need one that is at least 4 quarts. This would be an easy recipe to double by using a 7 quart slow cooker instead!
Use flour, broth, fresh thyme, cornstarch and a little cream to create the perfect homemade sauce. Once everything has cooked up all day and the veggies are nice and tender we will transfer to a baking dish and top with a puff pastry sheet. It takes only a few minutes to be golden brown and a delicious homemade pot pie/comfort food dish is done!
Slow Cooker Veggie Pot Pie
- 7 cups veggies chopped into bite sized pieces as needed I used: brussels sprouts, frozen corn kernels, frozen peas, diced potatoes, baby carrots, and pre-sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup diced onion
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 5-6 sprigs fresh thyme leaves removed
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 frozen puff pastry sheet thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Clean and chop veggies as needed and add to slow cooker along with onion and garlic
- Toss with flour to coat well
- Slowly stir in broth until well blended with flour
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8
- Whisk cornstarch with ¼ cup water until smooth then stir into the veggie mixure
- Stir in cream, cover, and return slow cooker to high heat for about 15 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly
- Transfer to a 9x13 baking dish and top with thawed puff pastry sheet (cut to fit if necessary)
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and brush over top of pastry
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes or until pastry is golden and fluffy