I been seriously lacking in posting side dishes lately! Side dishes can be one of the best parts of the meal so I’m not sure why I haven’t been better about sharing some of my favorites with you. This rice is one of my new favorites and will be on a regular rotation at our house. It’s pretty versatile and will go with so many things plus everyone loved it! Can’t go wrong with a recipe that like, especially when it’s easy to make in the slow cooker!
I kept it pretty simple and stuck to the basics here to make a rustic inspired side dish. The beauty is that with this simple recipe you can add to it in so many ways to make it your own. Change out the herbs, add veggies or even throw in some cheese. It’s all you!
Now to be fully honest, I will usually use my rice cooker to make all my rice side dishes and I love it! But they can be kind of pricey (got mine as a gift) and kind of bulky to store and not everyone wants or needs one so I decided to experiment with the slow cooker method. I was very happily surprised at the results and figured out a few tips that will make your rice turn out even better so check those out in the recipe below!!
- 2 cups medium to long grain brown rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 oz frozen sliced mushrooms ((or fresh if preferred))
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Dried or fresh parsley for garnish ((optional))
- In a skillet over medium high heat (or in multi cooker) melt butter
- Add rice and sauté while stirring occasionally for about 2-4 minutes or until rice is lightly toasted
- Add rice to slow cooker along with mushrooms, broth, thyme and oregano
- Add beef broth and stir
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours
- Stir rice and if not fully cooked you can add 1/2 cup additional water or broth and cook for another 30 minutes
- Add salt and pepper to taste before serving
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!