Does anyone else who works from home, cares for kids at home or is otherwise at home all day ever have the sudden realization when it’s almost time for bed that they forgot to take a shower that day? No? Ummmm….. okay. Me either. Except I did. But I just got so busy!! The kids and I made cupcakes, I put together a new dinner recipe AND I made this dip. And I got totally distracted by taking little scoops of this Roasted Corn and Poblano Dip and so I can’t be blamed! This dip is totally distracting in such a good way. Even my three year old was sneaking bites while I was trying to take a few photos.
So what makes this dip so good? I think it’s the freshness! Use freshly shucked corn on the cob and a nice crisp poblano pepper and you won’t be sorry! Oh, and the bacon. Seriously…what’s not good with bacon?!
Yes, I’m adding an extra step here and I will say I think it’s a must! You need to grill or otherwise roast your corn and pepper for this dip. You can use your outdoor grill, grill pan on your stove or even your grilling machine like the one I have to get that nice roasted flavor. It’s really simple, I promise!
How long it takes will depend on the grill you are using. Outside on a super hot grill it will just take a couple of minutes on each side… mine took more like 15 minutes. Just brush the corn and pepper with a little olive oil and put them right on a preheated grill that’s nice and hot. I had mine turned up to 450 degrees. Keep an eye on it and roast the corn until it’s nice and golden and roast the pepper until the skin is dark and blistered.
Let the pepper steam in a ziploc bag for 10 minutes or so when it’s done and the skin will peel right off. Then you can dice it right up and add it to the crock along with the corn that you have cut off the cob. Let it all melt together with the cheeses and crumbled bacon and watch the dip disappear!!
- 4 ears of fresh corn
- 1 large poblano pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 slices bacon
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Tortilla chips for dipping
- Brush corn and pepper lightly with olive oil
- Preheat grill (to around 450 degrees for indoor grill) and place corn and pepper on grill
- Turn the corn and pepper as each side is roasted (mine took about 5-6 minutes per side but this will vary). The pepper should have burn/blistered skin.
- Remove and let the corn cool and place the pepper in a ziploc bag and seal
- In the meantime place the bacon on a microwave safe plate and cook on high for 2 minutes or until crispy but not burnt. Remove to paper towels and let cool.
- Once the corn has cooled enough to handle stand it on end and use a sharp knife to remove the kernels
- Using a fork peel the blistered skin from the pepper (it should come off easily)
- Remove seeds and dice pepper
- Add corn, pepper, crumbled bacon and remaining ingredients to crock
- Heat on low for about 2 hours until everything is melted together and hot
- Serve with chips or bread
Free Guide to Slow Cooking!
Sign up for our newsletters and get an instant download of our Welcome and Getting Started Guide to Slow Cooking!