Instead of grabbing a bag of frozen meatballs, follow this recipe for insanely easy slow cooker pork meatballs that are perfect for potlucks, entertaining and even dinner at home.
About Slow Cooker Pork Meatballs
Ground pork is readily available at most supermarkets and is a nice change from beef. If desired you can sub out ground beef, chicken, or turkey in this recipe.
I love the flavor combination of sage with pork. Feel free to swap out for another herb if you don’t have sage. Good options are thyme or rosemary or an Italian seasoning blend.
The chili sauce in this recipe is not the spicy version, but rather the type that’s similar to ketchup but with a bit of a kick and a thicker texture.
I love the flavor and taste of apricot preserves in this recipe, but feel free to try out other flavors and see what you like best!
I love meatballs made with a panko breadcrumb mixture soaked in milk. It’s quick and easy and adds the bulk and binding without adding to much of a “bread” taste to the meatballs
When mixing meatballs, it’s best to do so by hand so that you can get it just mixed without over-mixing and making them tough
Use a meat thermometer to measure the internal temp of the meatballs to ensure they have reached at least 165 degrees F.
I prefer using a casserole slow cooker when making meatballs so that there is no need to stack them.
Meatballs cooked in the slow cooker will not be perfectly round or have a crispy outer crust. They will be tender and juicy instead.
Ground pork produces a lot of grease, so if serving at a gathering you may want to transfer to a platter for better presentation.
How To Prep Ahead
Prepare raw meatballs and lay (not touching) on a parchment-lined baking sheet in the freezer for 1-2 hours before transferring to a freezer bag or container
Store in freezer up to 3 months
Thaw before cooking
How To Store Leftovers
Let cool completely then store in air tight containers in fridge up to 3 days
How To Make In The Oven
- Bake at 350 degrees F in a casserole dish for 15-20 minutes until meatballs cooked through
Slow Cooker Pork Meatballs
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon dried sage
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup chili sauce
- ½ cup apricot preserves
- 1 teaspoon deli mustard
- Mix together breadcrumbs and milk and set aside for 5 minutes
- Spray slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray
- Gently mix all meatball ingredients in bowl until just evenly combined
- Form meat mixture into rounds around the size of ping pong balls and place in single layer in slow cooker
- Mix together sauce ingredients in separate bowl and then pour over meatballs
- Cook on high 4-5 hours or low 7-8 hours
Meatballs cooked in the slow cooker will be tender and juicy instead of crispy
Ground pork produces a lot of grease, so if serving at a gathering you may want to transfer to a platter for better presentation
- Prep ahead: prepare raw meatballs, place (not touching) on parchment-lined baking sheet in freezer, 1-2 hours before transferring to freezer bag or container
Store in freezer up to 3 months, thaw before cooking
- Let cool completely then store in air tight containers in fridge up to 3 days