So, we chatted the other day about my eating philosophy and how feeding my family good wholesome food that everyone can enjoy is a huge part of that. You can read more about it here but basically what it comes down to is using the best ingredients you can find to create a delicious meal that is flavorful, fun and visually appealing (we eat with our eyes first, right?!). And let's not forget, it has to be simple and quick to prepare because we all have a lot to get done every day and using up too much of our time on daily meal prep will lead to burnout! No one wants that! Today I'm sharing a recipe that is based on what is likely a classic favorite in many families, but we are going to put a new spin on it to make it that much more fun so that everyone will eagerly come to the dinner table! Time to use your slow cooker to make this simple but delicious Chipotle Chicken Tortilla Soup!
Let's start with the ingredients that go into the slow cooker. Looks pretty simple? It is! Some fresh chicken breasts along with fire-roasted tomatoes, black beans, corn and dried spices. Then comes the chicken broth, a pretty key ingredient when making chicken tortilla soup, right?! Since I know there's very little likelihood that I will be making mine from scratch anytime soon, I want to make sure I have good broth in my soup. One that uses high quality ingredients is a must for your soup to turn out amazing. College Inn Chicken Broth is a great choice and is easy to find because they carry it at Wal-Mart! I usually try to keep a few cartons on hand because it makes it so easy to put together a quick meal, even in a pinch.
I love how meals like this one are so quick to get into the slow cooker in the morning. You can just let it simmer away all day and then you end up with this! How much does this make your mouth water right now? Even straight out of the slow cooker it tastes delicious but when do I ever leave well enough alone? 😉
It's time for all your favorite toppings. And another opportunity to up the fresh content of your meal by adding some avocado, fresh chopped cilantro, shredded cheese and homemade tortilla strips. Add as few or as many as you like. It's a great way to get kids to eat their dinner because they have so much control over what they add. What kid doesn't like that?!
Slow Cooker Chipotle Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 14.5 oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (depending on how much spice you prefer)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 4 cups chicken broth
For crunchy tortillas
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
For garnish (optional):
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- chopped cilantro
- fresh lime juice
- fresh tomatoes
- Place chicken in slow cooker and add beans, tomatoes, spices and chicken broth
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 until chicken is cooked through
- Shred chicken with forks in slow cooker
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Slice tortillas into thin strips and toss with canola oil and garlic powder
- Place in single layer on baking sheet in oven for 6-8 minutes until lightly browned and cripsy
- Serve soup topped with tortilla strips along with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and other toppings as desired
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of College Inn Broth . The opinions and text are all mine.