Remind me again why I choose to live in the freezing cold Midwest? I do love it here but I could do without the wind chills right about now and I could especially do without the pipes that keep freezing in my bathroom. In order to cope I have become a soup making machine. Lots and lots of hearty soul warming soups.
My biggest requirements from my soups at this point are that they be filling and hearty but also that they be pretty healthy. As much as I love creamy chowders and chili I have to keep into consideration that tank top/swimsuit season will be back before we know it.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken (I used a mix of breasts and thighs)
- 2 small zucchini squash
- 16 ounces white navy beans drained and rinsed
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste add at end
- Cut chicken and zucchini into large chunks
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker and stir to combine
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4
- Add salt and pepper to taste
Add an extra can of diced tomatoes if you love tomatoes as much as I do
I cooked this on low in my 4.5 quart slow cooker on low for 7 hours