Yep. It’s pretty much as rich and delicious and decadent and bad for you but oh so amazing as it sounds. Back this summer I had made a layered blueberry cheesecake in my slow cooker and it turned out so great! Bad news, I lost the recipe and never did post it. Good news, I took another shot and this cheesecake with a browned butter layer and a pumpkin layer turned out just as well if not better (at least for fall). Did I mention the golden Oreo crust? And that you can drizzle it with a little melted caramel? How soon would be too soon to make this again? 😉
Am I the only one who gets a little intimidated at the idea of trying to make a cheesecake? I mean, I don’t even own a springform pan. Not to mention the worry of whether it’s over-baked or under-baked?! It’s all just a little to much kitchen stress for me.
Slow cooker to the rescue again! No exact precise timing to worry about and no complicated pans. Just a glass oven safe loaf pan that fits all nice and nestled into your crock in a nice hot water bath and you are in business!
Crumble up and press in some Oreo’s for your crust. Whip up the batter and then divide into two bowls so that you can make one pumpkin and one browned butter.
Browned butter is made simply by heating some butter in a skillet on the stove until it melts and starts to get bubbly and develop little brown flecks. It only takes a few minutes and it lends itself to a nutty type flavor that compliments the pumpkin perfectly. You can always just leave it out and make your cheesecake plain, but I’d encourage you to give it a try at least once! It’s a flavor that just can’t be beat.
- 8 Golden Oreo Cookies
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 8 ounces package cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup pumpkin
- pinch of nutmeg and cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 4 tablespoons cold butter divided
- melted caramel for topping optional
- Spray a glass oven safe loaf pan well with nonstick spray (make sure it fits into your crock)
- In food processor or blender pulse Oreo's until finely ground
- Mix Oreo's with 3 tablespoons melted butter and them press firmly into bottom of loaf pan
- In skillet over medium heat place 4 tablespoons cold butter
- Whisk as they melt until they start to bubble and watch closely as it start to develop little brown flecks
- As soon as the butter starts to brown remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly
- In mixing bowl using hand mixer or in bowl of stand mixer beat softened cream cheese on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until creamy
- Add sugar, sour cream and egg to cream cheese and beat for 1 more minute until combined (but do not overmix)
- Pour 1/3 of the cheesecake mixture into a separate bowl and add the cooled (but not solidified) browned butter and mix until combined
- In the remaining 2/3 of cheesecake mixture add 1/2 cup pumpkin and pinch of spice and mix until combined
- Pour the pumpkin cheesecake mixture into the loaf pan on top of the Oreo's to form the bottom layer
- Next top with the browned butter cheesecake mixture to form the top layer
- Place pan in crock and add water around the outside of the loaf pan high enough to cover the cheesecake mixture (but don't go over the top of the loaf pan)
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours until center is set
I used a glass loaf pan in my 5 quart oval crock and cooked this on high for 2 1/2 hours
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!