I was super tired the other night and took the rare occasion to plant myself on the couch while the kids were outside playing. Rare that I get to sit on the couch, that is…. not so rare that I’m super tired. Anyway, I was flipping through the channels and found a Bobby Flay Throwdown on the Cooking Channel. The subject? Bread Pudding. Bread Pudding? I’d never given it much thought and I’m pretty sure I’d never had it before. But they were making bread pudding with chocolate. And a bread pudding with bacon?! I started dreaming of all the possibilities.
I thought about fruit, chocolate, and whipped cream but then it finally occurred to me! Keep it simple. We all need a simple, quick dessert that we can throw in the slow cooker any night of the week for company or just for a treat. And this was so simple to make! Just a few quick ingredients tossed together and let the crockpot do it’s thing while you go do something more fun!
And the other reason to keep it simple? So that this amazing Salted Caramel Sauce can be the star of the show! I’ve searched and tried a few different Salted Caramel Sauce recipes, but this one by Brown Eyed Baker came out perfect! I just made half a recipe because I don’t trust myself with anything salted caramel but if you want to be generous with each serving I’d make the whole recipe. It sounds complicated but the instructions were perfect and it didn’t end up taking long at all.
I should have made the whole thing. You know, so other people could have had some. Because I went in for a bite and ended up licking the jar clean. Oops 🙂
I should also mention that bread pudding is usually made with slightly stale bread but since mine was fresh and I didn’t want to wait I toasted it for about 3 minutes in the oven. I’m going to be making this one again soon!
Salted Caramel Sauce recipe and instructions here!
Slow Cooker Bread Pudding with Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 pound Italian loaf (slightly stale)
- 4 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cut bread into 1 - 2 inch cubes. If bread is fresh then toast cut bread for 3-4 minutes in a single layer on baking sheet at 400 degrees.
- Spray crock with nonstick spray
- Place bread in crock and if you are using less than a 5 quart you will want to squish it down to make sure it all fits
- In mixing bowl combine remaining ingredients and mix well
- Pour evenly over bread making sure it's all coated
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 5-6 until eggs are fully cooked.
- Serve with salted caramel sauce - see recipe link above
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!