This! For all my squash loving friends! Loved it for dinner and then again for lunch the next day! To this day I don’t think I’ve met a squash I didn’t like and spaghetti squash happens to be one of my favorites. I’m so excited for fall and all the fall squashes! Hardest part of making this dish is getting that darn squash cut in half! No matter what I do it’s always a bit of a struggle. Just promise you will be careful! No one needs a kitchen mishap!
That just means more for me! And plus..the shrimp! Easy and so good. My favorite way to make them. Nothing earth shattering here. Just melt a little butter and saute these up with some garlic, salt and pepper.
Let the squash cook all day in the slow cooker then shred. Remove to a bowl and add some homemade or jarred sauce and some cheese and return it to the crock to finish cooking. Or stick it under the broiler for 5 minutes and you are done!
- 1 spaghetti squash (4-5 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup pasta sauce - see notes
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 8-10 oz small peeled deveined and tail-off shrimp
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1½ teaspoons jarred minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Carefully cut squash in half lengthwise and remove all seeds
- Drizzle each cut side of squash with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning
- Place cut side up in slow cooker - I stacked mine since they wouldn't fit side by side
- Add 2 cups of water to bottom of slow cooker
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 until squash is easy to shred
- Shred squash into spaghetti like strands with fork and place in bowl
- Mix in sauce and place back into skins
- Top with cheese and return to crock to heat through on high for 30 minutes or place under oven broiler for about 5 minutes until cheese is golden brown
- Heat butter over medium-high heat in skillet
- Add shrimp and garlic and saute for about 2-3 minutes on each side until cooked through
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve in "boats" or remove squash to bowl and top with shrimp
I used a basil pesto Alfredo sauce. Any Alfredo or creamy sauce will work and homemade would be especially tasty!