I’m pretty sure I’ve waited an appropriate amount of time before posting yet another meatball recipe. I could pretty much live off of them every day, but I think a blog only about meatballs could get a little boring (or would it?!). At any rate, I think I’ve found another keeper worth sharing. These Honey BBQ Meatballs made in the slow cooker would be great for dinner or a party appetizer. They are simple to make and easy to devour.
And, I guess I should mention, the secret ingredient in these meatballs is….. CHICKEN! That’s right, ground chicken. This means they are a little lighter than the norm, and a departure from the usual. I love ground chicken, and chicken meatballs are no exception. Another little trick I use is in adding a seasoning blend, instead of separate seasoning. So quick and easy. BBQ is there way to go here.
Nine ingredients total to make these, can you believe it? No excuses for not making these right away. The kids will love ’em. The grown-up will love ’em. And nobody had to go to much trouble to make them.
These are delicious served up with some steamed rice and a veggie to make a meal that is filling. Or grab some toothpicks and serve them up as an appetizer.
Let me know, how will you serve these meatballs? Be sure to snap a pic and hashtag it #slowcookergourmet!!
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup oats
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon BBQ seasoning
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ¾ cup BBQ sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup blackberry preserves
- Add ground chicken to large mixing bowl
- Mix together milk and oats in small bowl and let soak for 10-15 minutes
- Add to chicken along with eggs and BBQ seasoning
- Use hands to gently combine until well mixed
- Form into small golf ball sized meatballs
- Heat oil in large skillet or multi-cooker to medium-high heat
- Add meatballs (in batches if necessary) and brown on each side for 2-4 minutes
- Transfer to slow cooker
- Whisk together BBQ sauce, honey and preserves and pour over meatballs
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8
Slow Cooker Gourmet is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. If you purchase a product through this link I will earn a small commission. As always, I only recommend products I use and love!
Craving more meatballs recipes?
Free Guide to Slow Cooking!
Sign up for our newsletters and get an instant download of our Welcome and Getting Started Guide to Slow Cooking!