Since we are all friends here I must admit something to you. My best baked beans recipe has historically been nothing more than a doctored up can of Bush’s beans heated up in my mini crock (deep dark secrets here!). I mean, living in one of the best BBQ cities in the world has left me feeling like there is just no point in competing. Any gathering that requires the appearance of some beans has me dialing up for some carry-out. But then I got to thinking…why compete? Maybe I should just make something totally different that would go with some of our at home BBQ’s that wouldn’t require a trip across town. While they would never win against a bean made by the experts I have to say these were really quite tasty and a perfect side for our boneless ribs grilled up with a coffee slash BBQ rub.
I used a mixture of beans of varying size and color to keep it fun. Some white navy beans, light kidney beans, and pinto beans made for a pretty looking dish. Drain and rinse three cans of your favorite beans and toss them in the crock.
Mix up a super simple sauce of BBQ sauce, honey and garlic powder. That’s it!! Can’t get much easier than that! Let it heat up on high for a few hours or cook all day on low. Have the perfect side for your next BBQ!
- 2 slices bacon
- 1/2 small yellow onion
- 16 ounces canned beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Heat small skillet over medium high heat
- Slice bacon and dice into small pieces
- Add to pan and let brown for 2-3 minutes
- Dice onion as finely as possible and then add to skillet along with bacon
- Let cook an additional 3-4 minutes until bacon and onions are lightly browned and crisp
- Place drained and rinsed beans in crock along with bacon and onions
- In small bowl whisk BBQ sauce with honey and garlic powder
- Pour over beans and mix to combine
- Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or high for 3-4
I cooked these in my 4.5 quart round slow cooker on high for 3.5 hours