This chicken and summer were just made for each other. Juicy chicken thighs with a super simple blend of seasonings slow cooked all day with lime juice and brought all together with a flavorful and lightly creamy sauce that is perfect over rice, quinoa or farro.
If you don’t love cilantro then this is probably not the dish for you as it has A LOT. I feel like it gives chicken this fresh flavor along with the lime that makes then chicken almost seem refreshing on a hot day.
And of course you know how much I love using my slow cooker when it’s hot outside so that just the added bonus here. That and the fact that our afternoons are free and theres no stress to rush home and get dinner started since it’s just waiting patiently for us.
- 1½ to 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons southwest seasoning blend
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried cilantro
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup lime juice
- ½ cup heavy cream, for later
- ¼ - ½ cup fresh chopped cilantro, for later
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch whisked with 2 tablespoons water, for later (optional)
- Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat (or in multi cooker)
- Season chicken well with southwest seasoning, chili powder and dried cilantro
- Sear chicken in heated skillet until lightly browned on each side (about 3-4 minutes per side)
- Transfer to slow cooker and add broth and lime juice
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 until chicken is cooked through
- Carefully remove chicken and stir in cream and fresh cilantro to broth
- If you would like to thicken the sauce you can also add the cornstarch slurry
- Return chicken and continue to heat on high until sauce is warmed through, about 15-30 minutes
Free Guide to Slow Cooking!
Sign up for our newsletters and get an instant download of our Welcome and Getting Started Guide to Slow Cooking!