Although in life I tend to be quite a rule follower, when it comes to cooking I kind of like to be a rebel. Enchilada's are the perfect food for cooking rebels because you can pretty much make them any way you want! While there's nothing wrong with the traditional, like beef or chicken, sometimes it's fun to do things a little different. So let's throw in some sweet potatoes. Oh, and if that wasn't wild and crazy enough we are also get to get a little lazy by making an enchilada casserole instead of rolling them all up. Any issues with that? Okay, let's get to work on our newest creation... Sweet Potato Enchilada Casserole with a Creamy Chipotle sauce... oh and while we're at it let's just throw them in the crock!
These really are super simple to make but are truly delicious and different enough to serve even for a dinner party. They would be perfect served up with a side of cilantro lime rice.
You could easily sub in butternut squash or any other fall/winter squash but I sure do love some sweet potatoes! And I prefer them savory with is the way they work in this dish!
Compliment it all with a creamy and just a tad bit spicy sauce. Layers of sweet potatoes, black beans, corn tortillas and creamy sauce - how can you possibly go wrong? Just don't forget to top it all off with your favorite cheese!
Slow Cooker Creamy Chipotle Sweet Potato Enchiladas
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 ½ tablespoons flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened and cubed
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- pinch of salt
- 12 corn tortillas
- 3 sweet potatoes (1 to 1 ½ pounds, peeled and cubed)
- 15 ounces canned black beans drained and rinsed
- ¾ teaspoon cumin
- ¾ teaspoon cilantro
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- In a small saucepan over medium high heat melt butter
- Stir in flour to melted buter
- Slowly add broth while whisking until smooth and well combined
- Let simmer for 3-5 minutes while sauce thickens continue whisking
- Reduce heat and add cubed cream cheese and adobo sauce
- Continue to whisk together until cream cheese is melted and sauce is smooth, add salt to taste
- Spray crock well with non-stick spray
- Layer about ½ cup sauce on bottom of crock and then cover with about 4 tortillas (tear apart as necessary to fit)
- Toss together peeled and diced sweet potatoes with beans, cumin and cilantro
- Layer ½ of the sweet potato mixture over the tortillas
- Top with another layer of 4 tortillas and ½ to 1 cup of sauce
- Repeat and top with remaining sauce and cheese
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-5 hours