Tired of the same old weeknight dinners? Spice up your life with this delicious Slow Cooker Chicken Teriyaki recipe!
This recipe is easy to make and can be adjusted to your liking. Like it spicy? Add some red pepper flakes Want more veggies? Add them in! The best part about this recipe is that it’s perfect for a busy weeknight. Just pop everything in the slow cooker and let it do its thing.
The best part about this recipe is that it’s perfect for a busy weeknight. Just pop everything in the slow cooker and let it do its thing.
This simple slow cooker recipe is easy to make, flavorful, and perfect for a busy weeknight.
If you are looking for a more traditional teriyaki sauce, this recipe might not be for you. With soy sauce, brown sugar and pineapple this sauce has a bit of a twist to it, and it’s so delicious!
The best part about this recipe is that it’s perfect for a busy weeknight. Just pop everything in the slow cooker and let it do its thing. You can even prepare the sauce ahead of time and store it in the fridge until you are ready to cook. This recipe is easy to make and is packed with flavor.
The chicken has a gingery garlic sauce and pairs perfectly with the sweet pineapple. So if you are looking for an easy and delicious weeknight meal, give these Slow Cooker Chicken Teriyaki Pineapple Bowls a try!
- boneless skinless chicken thighs – The chicken thighs in this recipe are a great choice because they are flavorful and tender. They cook quickly in the slow cooker and soak up the delicious teriyaki sauce. Chicken thighs are nutritious because they are a good source of protein and healthy fats.
- frozen pineapple chunks – I like using frozen pineapple chunks for convenience and it works perfectly in this recipe. The pineapple also adds natural sweetness helps to tenderize the chicken as it cooks.
- red onion
- soy sauce (tamari for gluten free)
- brown sugar
- jarred minced garlic – I like to keep a huge jar of this in my fridge at all times so I don’t have to chop up fresh garlic and it saves me time. The flavor is not as strong, so I find the need to add more of this than I would fresh.
- ginger paste – buy in jars and keep on hand for adding some ginger quickly to recipes
- tapioca flour – mixed with water to form a slurry, this will help thicken the sauce
How to make Pineapple Chicken Teriyaki in the slow cooker
This recipe is SO SIMPLE to make, one of my favorite ways to get dinner on the table. You simply add everything to the slow cooker and let it cook all day!
I suggest cooking for 2-3 hours on high or 4-6 on low. If you will be away from home longer than this amount of time, it’s helpful to have a slow cooker with a timer so that it will automatically switch to warm when cooking time has completed.
To make serving this up a breeze, have some steamed rice made up ahead of time and heat your favorite frozen veggies to serve as a side. This meal is also delicious with a crispy fresh side salad.
Tips & Tricks for this recipe
– The chicken thighs in this recipe are a great choice because they are flavorful and tender.
– I like using frozen pineapple chunks for convenience and it works perfectly in this recipe.
– I like to keep a huge jar of minced garlic in my fridge at all times so I don’t have to chop up fresh garlic and it saves me time.
– Ginger paste can be bought in jars and is a great way to add some ginger quickly to recipes.
What I love about slow cooker recipes is how easily you can adapt them to fit your families needs. Here are a few ideas for how you could switch up this recipe.
- Add chunks of bell peppers for added veggies
- use fresh instead of frozen pineapple
- use Tamari instead of soy sauce to make it gluten free
- use cornstarch if you don’t have tapioca flour
Can I make this ahead? Yes! Place everything in a baggie in the fridge or freezer! Ensure it’s thawed before you cook and just pour the contents into the slow cooker and turn it on.
Do the leftovers keep? Yes. Place in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat to serve.
What are good sides dishes to serve with this? I love to serve this up with my families favorite sautéed green beans.
Slow Cooker Pineapple Chicken Teriyaki Bowls
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into bite sized chunks
- 12 oz frozen pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup red onion cut into 2 inch chunks
- ¼ cup soy sauce tamari for gluten free
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons jarred minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour whisked with 2 tablespoons water until smooth
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker and stir to combine
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-6
- Serve over rice and garnished with diced green onion or as desired
- use Tamari instead of soy sauce to make this gluten free
- add bell peppers for extra veggies if desired
- can prep ahead and add to baggie and keep in fridge or freezer (thaw before cooking)