So…ready for the big game? Who are you rooting for? OR…are you like me and really, it’s just all about the food. I mean, no shame. Somebody’s got to be thinking about this stuff, right? Good food at a game day party is just an absolute must have. Now that I have this recipe in my line-up, I’m going to be hanging onto it for tailgating too! This chili has something everybody is gonna love. What guy doesn’t want beer in their chili. And what girl doesn’t secretly want to load up her chili with all the goodies like Fritos, crispy potatoes and sour cream. And cheese. But that’s a given.
I used a flank steak for this recipe. The long cooking time makes it super tender and it makes the chili super meaty. Perfect for hearty appetites and for feeding a crowd. Season it up and brown it on either side before letting it slow cook all day to the point of fall apart tender.
To give the chili even richer flavor it uses fire-roasted diced tomatoes plus fire-roasted tomato salsa. That plus ancho chili powder makes this chili have a nice smoky campfire taste! Plus, a little secret ingredient, some cocoa powder, gives it the perfect kick.
Seriously! Look how thick this chili is!! Game day menu…done!
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- pinch of salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup fire roasted tomato salsa
- 1 jalapeño (seeded and diced)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup beer ((I used wheat beer))
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- Frozen potato wedges (like Alexia, cooked according to package directions and seasoned with additional chili powder)
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sliced jalapeños
- sliced avocado
- sour cream
- Season flank steak with 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder and a pinch of salt and pepper
- Heat canola oil in skillet (or multi-cooker) over medium high heat or around 400 degrees
- Sear beef on each side for about 3-4 minutes or until nice and golden brown
- Transfer meat to slow cooker and add all remaining chili ingredients
- Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours
- Shred beef in slow cooker
- Serve chili in bowls topped with any of the optional toppings or as desired
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!